PDA

View Full Version : decal cleaning

tensors22288
05-13-2005, 01:05 PM
i own a 97pathfnder LE an theres a factory stripe, about half an inch wide, that runs from the front fender to the back fender, right below the window. problem is after claying the car with a yellow mothers clay, all the crap got caught inbetween the paint an the decal. is there anyway to clean the stuff out? id consider removing it but first off i think it could harm the paint and second it was used to help seperate and blend the new paint on some bodywork i had done, meaning if i remove it i wiill see a sudden change in paint color above and below the decal

theres pics on my cardomain page on the bottom. they on page 2 and theres one taillight shot where u can see the stripe well an somewhat see the dirt

imported_Totoland Mach
05-13-2005, 02:41 PM
I`ve got a 96 LE as well and found that a wood toothpick works great on that doggoned stripe! I tried a plastic toothbrush with limited results (was more worried about scratching the finish) and picked up the toothpick idea from a fellow Autopian.

Totoland Mach

tensors22288
05-13-2005, 03:49 PM
nice man, thanx. should i actually get the toothpick down between the sticker an paint? cause i dont want it to start peeling or it mite keep picking up more dirt

imported_Totoland Mach
05-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by tensors22288

nice man, thanx. should i actually get the toothpick down between the sticker an paint? cause i dont want it to start peeling or it mite keep picking up more dirt

tensors: I used the edge of the decal as a guide and rubbed the edge with the toothpick. You will find (as I did) that it picks up a lot of wax/polish residue and you will need at least 2 per side. Obviously, cost isn`t the problem, but it will consume some time. The end result is very nice however.

See Ya and have fun.

tensors22288
05-13-2005, 06:31 PM
i tried and yes it got the residue off the top, but check out the first 2 pics on this site and u`ll see what i cant get out. just tried getting a toothpic under there but the paint started to chip off when i went under the decal.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=570723020106&page=1&sort_order=0

imported_Totoland Mach
05-13-2005, 07:58 PM
tensors: I see what you are talking about. Mine has similar looks in some parts of the decal. Almost like I`ve removed some layer of decal and it is discoloring.

I`ve tried to post a pic, but you might not be able to enlarge it enough to see.

I`ll take some close-up`s this weekend and post them.

Totoland Mach

tensors22288
05-13-2005, 09:53 PM
love the color, didnt know they made that. some1 recomended just removing them, which i wouldnt mind at all, but i have a feeling it would rip alot of paint up with it an it would look a little off. but ill try workin at them again, no rush on the pics