PDA

View Full Version : What`s best for a new car?

ShinyTom
05-13-2005, 03:58 AM
Hi all,

I have a new (one month old) car, a 2005 VW Golf GTI in a dark metallic blue. As you can imagine the paint is in pretty good shape and whilst I understand that you need to prepare the paint before putting a wax on I`d like some recommendations of the combination of products I should use that will give a deep glossy shine, whilst being abrasive on the paintwork. Advice on which brand of microfibre applying and buffing cloths would be helpful too.

The car is sadly never garaged and is used daily so something that will be reasonably durable (and available in the UK) would be good. I don`t want to waste money but am happy to pay for the best products, although being realistic ease of application is quite important.

By way of background I`ve used autoglym stuff to date on previous cars, but quite fancied trying the P21S Carnauba wax, perhaps on top of autoglym`s new ultra deep shine - though this seems to have had quite bad reviews.

Any advice on how best to protect the paintwork and the wheels tyres and give a great shine are much appreciated.

Tom

Lowejackson
05-13-2005, 06:49 AM
I would consider claying and then decide if you need to polish. I am still a fan of Autoglym and the P21S works well below SRP.

The best product I can think of to really help is a PC. It is worth every penny.

gkerr4
05-13-2005, 06:51 AM
Hello - welcome to Autopia!

You say you have used AutoGlym products before - I always used to use Autoglym products and started looking for other `better` products to use which is what led me to forum`s like this - however, now a few months down the line, I like many other UK people here have actually reverted to Autoglym stuff as actually, it`s pretty good.

I think we brits tend to think that because you can buy it in any halfords then it must be rubbish - but it really does take some beating. I agree though that the ultra deep shine has got some bad reviews. There are a few UK people here and it was discussed at some length a while back here:-

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50617&highlight=ultra+deep+shine

It didn`t come out too good. I like Super resin Polish and use that a lot, although you will only need to use it on the car a couple of times a year. Then top with a wax - either synthetic (sealant) or a natural wax such as P21S (carnauba).

On a new car I would say, invest in some quality car wash and a quality wash mitt. Get some clay and treat the car to a claying - Meguiars quik clay is readily available and then use the autoglym super resin polish to improve the paint and then look at a wax topper.

P21s is a good wax - easy to use and good looking, but not the best in terms of durability - not bad though. For a synthetic sealant, an easy to get and cheap one would be the autoglym extra gloss protection. This looks good on my silve BMW, but on a dark coloured golf, I would look for Wolfgang sealant which is easy to use and has very good durability. If you get the bug for this detailling lark you will find that you will build up layers of Wolfgang and then want to `top` it with a carnauba just for the look - in which case Pinnacle souveran is thr best (and available in the UK) with P21S being closely behind it.

Good luck

Graham

Richt
05-13-2005, 07:44 AM
Autoglym Super Resin is such a versatile product I dont think I would drop it from my collection.

On dark colour cars, I love the look off either Poorboys Ex or Wolfgang. Which I mentioned in your other thread. Both give lovely results on Dark paint, preference comes more down to application on them, as your car lives out side you may be better off with the EX as it is less fussy on the set up. Wolfgang stae for maximum durabilty 12 hours set up in the dry.

As Graham mentioned topping a sealant with a wax is a great way of getting a fantastic look. Pinnacle Souveran is a lovely product but it isnt cheap, for something that gives a almost identical look at a fraction off the price look into Clearkote Carnub Moose Wax.

The fist stage to keeping you car in tip top condtion come down to a good wash mitt, soap and adopting the two bucket wash method and get a good drying to towel.

Even though the car is new well worth giving it a good claying. After that see how the car looks after the AG twins and topped with some wax and take it from there.

Cloths wise the Megs range off MFS has just improved, most off my cloths are Poorboys and Sonus. Like both brands and I have kind off stuck to them.

On a dark blue car I would be looking towards using.

Klasse AIO/ Carlack 68/ AG Srp

Clearkote Vanilla Moose or Red Machine Glaze

Poorboys Ex with Carnuba

Pinnacle Souveran or Clearkote Canuba Moose Wax