PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a new sealant

Pages : [1] 2

trueblueblood
05-12-2005, 11:20 PM
I have been using EX-P for about 6 months now and plan on picking up the new Zaino to try out later this month but I need something else. I have dark true blue Ford paint that has alot of metallic flake. It seems hard to balance and get a the metallic to pop without muting the dark blue or vice versa. I`ve been eyeballing FMJ and it looks really interesting, but any other suggestions, not interested in Klasse, what about EX or EX w/carnuba how are their durability? Make some suggestions and help a brother out. I want to know about durability as I`m in south Texas the sun is gonna be baking the car soon:cool: !

Thanks for any help need some reassurance and guidance:)

Glossmaster
05-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Zaino Z2 Pro will meet your needs, for sure! IMO, the EX w/carnauba, Wolfgang & UPP would be worth trying as well. They will all give slightly different looks & durability, but they`re worth experimenting with! I`ve never used the FMJ ( not yet, atleast ) but I`ve read some great things about it here.

Scottwax
05-12-2005, 11:36 PM
NXT Paste would also work. You don`t have to order it either.

trueblueblood
05-12-2005, 11:40 PM
How would UPP compare to FMJ?

Scott whats the durability of NXT wax?

Thanks

Scottwax
05-13-2005, 12:15 AM
I`ve used UPP but not FMJ so I can`t make any comparison.

I get around 3 months of decent appearance and beading from the liquid version of NXT, I really try not to let anything get much past that. Slickness begins to fall off after 3-4 weeks but at 3 months there really isn`t any drag with an MF on the paint after washing. I think the key to getting decent durability from NXT is applying 2 thin layers and keeping the car dry for 24 hours.

05-13-2005, 05:36 AM
don`t forget megs #21. only down size is you have to buy 64 oz at a time.

Wasatch
05-13-2005, 08:30 AM
Sealants I have, but not used yet:

EX-P

Checkout the Chemical Guy`s website, they have some nice sealant over there.

Just to point out EX and EX w/carnuaba are the same.

SamIam
05-13-2005, 08:40 AM
EX w Carnuba would not be a good choice in my opinion, it mutes the metallic flakes. I used it on a black Audi, and it looked OK. I used it on a metallic flake Acura, it washed out the flake effect.

Of what I own and have used that would look good on metallic:

UPP - Looks great. I like it alot.

Glanz Wax - Again, it looks great on our metallic flake van

Klasse - I used this before a long trip on the hood of the van and it helped the metallic in my opinion.

LamboJay
05-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Give Autoglym SRP and EGP a shot. I can`t give you info on durability as I park my car indoors and only drive it on nice days but the reflection Autoglym gives is second to none in my oppinion. Dark colored cars will look like glass (mine`s black).

termigator
05-13-2005, 01:52 PM
FMJ has a really wet, reflective look. I like it a lot. IMO, it`s one of, if not the best looking LSP`s out there. It`s a bit pricey, but I have yet to hear anybody who regret buying it.

travisdecpn
05-13-2005, 02:00 PM
I`m going to throw in another vote for #21, excellent slickness and looks great on both dark and light colors. If you don`t want to buy a 64 oz container of it, I think autodetailingsolutions sells smaller 12oz bottles of it.

chevyguy28
05-13-2005, 02:18 PM
If you want no muting at all, Zaino is the way to go. Very reflective and glossy. By comparison, FMJ is slightly more muted and dark looking, but the surface looks more wet. Still, FMJ and UPP are going to be a lot more like Zaino than the other end of the spectrum.

I use both FMJ and Zaino regularly for whatever mood I`m in. If you can only have one, I`d pick Zaino topped with Z8 for its durability.

hirosh
05-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by true blue blood

How would UPP compare to FMJ?

Scott whats the durability of NXT wax?

Thanks

on my Azure Blue Mach1, UPP and FMJ pretty much looked the same. slickness - in my experience, FMJ was better at retaining its slickness. durability - both lasted a month....before i went and did the car over. price - UPP is cheaper.

maybe try AIO + UPP. i did a green metallic accord and it was nice. what i liked about this combo is that the AIO seem to create a nice pop for the metallics, while UPP gives some nice, sharp reflections and is very slick.

Here`s a picture of the mirror, under my garage lights:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/rmiyash/2002%20Accord/accord05.jpg

Outside, a little bit after sunrise:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/rmiyash/2002%20Accord/accord09.jpg

Wasatch
05-13-2005, 03:37 PM
I keep forgetting that Tropi-Care`s TC-3 is a sealant, very easy to use.

JeffM
05-13-2005, 04:11 PM
If you dont have UPP yet, i would start with that. It looks very nice on my grey metallic, and also very nice on black, pretty much any color.

With good quality towels it is unbelievably slick, the towel almost jumps out of my hand....

Only reason i bother trying anything else, is UPP doesnt really need to be topped, so wheres the fun :)