PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Car Wax Durability

Mark Waldron
05-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Can anyone give me a realistic timeframe on how long this spray wax actually lasts? The company says up to 5 months, but those are probably under perfect conditions. Thanks!

Mark

stilez
05-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Mark: I polished my girlfriend`s Saab hood yesterday with Optimum Polish. I topped it with 1 coat of Optimum and it looks great.

I am trying not to top it for a while to see how it does. I live in the North East and everything is rather harsh up here so it will be a good test.

EBPcivicsi
05-12-2005, 08:12 PM
I don`t know how long one application lasts, but I can tell you this. If an autopian wanted to apply a LSP of their choice amd then use the OCW after every wash or even every other wash, they would have no problem going a full year without reapplying the LSP.

How well would the finish be protected? I have no idea, but it would bead like mad and look great. Would there be environmental contaminants on the paint? Probably depending on the environmental conditions.

OCW is so easy to use that IMO it could very easily be applied after every wash. After the third application the surface is VERY slick and the beading/dirt repelling is superb. Now what that says about the extent to which it is actually protecting the paint, I don`t know.

Setec Astronomy
05-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by GSRstilez

I polished my girlfriend`s Saab hood yesterday with Optimum Polish. I topped it with 1 coat of Optimum and it looks great.

Day before yesterday you posted a pic of your gf`s Saab in this thread: Meguiar`s NXT Paste Wax Review (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55845) , in which you said you polished with Optimum and applied NXT Paste Wax. Did you polish the NXT off yesterday, or is the picture in the linked thread of the Optimum Wax? :nixweiss

imported_RIC
05-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

Day before yesterday you posted a pic of your gf`s Saab in this thread: Meguiar`s NXT Paste Wax Review (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55845) , in which you said you polished with Optimum and applied NXT Paste Wax. Did you polish the NXT off yesterday, or is the picture in the linked thread of the Optimum Wax? :nixweiss

It`s probably his other girlfriend`s Saab. Or maybe he was so impressed with the NXT paste wax that he removed it and applied Optimum. Or maybe yesterday he left out in his NXT Paste wax review that the entire vehicle except for the hood had NXT paste wax applied.

a.k.a. Patrick
05-12-2005, 08:31 PM
I like using it, and its ease of use as much as EB. Its definitely unique in its application, and removal. End results for me were very very nice on a black 997 Carrera. I will continue using and testing, but thus far, I have no reason to not like it whatsoever.

I guess further test results will be easier accumulated upon its use on my own vehicles !! (When I get time!)

EBPcivicsi
05-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

I like using it, and its ease of use as much as EB. Its definitely unique in its application, and removal. End results for me were very very nice on a black 997 Carrera. I will continue using and testing, but thus far, I have no reason to not like it whatsoever.

I guess further test results will be easier accumulated upon its use on my own vehicles !! (When I get time!)

Yeah, I find it VERY prep dependent, which is not a bad thing. It is just hard for me to really use it as a stand alone LSP. Probably becasue in my mind I find it hard to believe that a product that is so easy to use can provide long lasting protection. I use it more like a booster type product or a topper on some details.

Mark Waldron
05-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the replies! I`m currently using OSW as a topper and not as a stand alone. I have no problem using it, but I`m not sure if I would want to use this as a LSP on a customers car. Take care!

Mark

holland_patrick
05-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by GSRstilez

Mark: I polished my girlfriend`s Saab hood yesterday with Optimum Polish. I topped it with 1 coat of Optimum and it looks great.

I am trying not to top it for a while to see how it does. I live in the North East and everything is rather harsh up here so it will be a good test.

Ok sean is out partyig so I`ll give ya the deal beacuse i talk to him Often.. Sean did the Nxt wax but that hood has been repainted and he said in the setting sun it was great but at noon he was some stuff he needed to get out and that is how he got the second coat on..

Scottwax
05-12-2005, 10:08 PM
As a stand alone LSP, I am not sure how long it lasts but applied in late winter/early spring over a 3 month old layer of Carnauba Moose, it is still beading and looking pretty good on a black BMW I regularly clean-conventional wash too. Slickness is decent with an MF, less so with bare skin.

I like to use it as a booster wax on my customer`s cars. Charge $15 more over a wash and it makes sure their vehicles look great and bead like crazy up until their next regular wax job. Since most of my customers are good about getting their vehicles waxed at the 3 month point, about halfway through is when I suggestive sell the OCW (my version of "do you want fries with that". ;)

On my own car, I use it like QD+. Normally, I used QS after each wash but every 3rd wash or so, I use OCW instead. Right now, I have a #16 sandwich on my car. 2 layers of NXT Paste, 2 coats of #16 topped with OCW. http://www.scottwax.com/rice/videos/smilies/biggrinwavey2.gif

Anthony O.
05-13-2005, 12:43 AM
To put everyones mind at ease (those who question it) you can use OCW after every wash because it having no cleaners and being a polymer it can be layered.

I just did 5 or 6 cars today, they are the same 5 or 6 cars I do every Thursday and everyone of them gets a spray and wipe down with OCW. Paint, glass and wheels. It is now pretty much my stand alone sealer.

After I wash the car I rinse it, blow it dry and then lightly mist one panel at a time with the OCW, wipe and buff and then move on.

Today though I did something a bit different on my last wash of the day. I washed the car, rinsed it then I lightly misted the entire car down with OCW while still wet. I then took a ww mf towel and wiped the car down. This did not dry the car but it did move the OCW around on the cars paint and glass.

I then rinsed the car down again with my pressure washer and then blew it dry....I was amazed at how well the car dried. I mean my blower blew just about every drop of water right off the car, I only had to dab up a spot or two and lightly went over some glass and that was it. Now this may be more hassle than what it`s worth but it was a pretty cool experiment:D

Anthony

brwill2005
05-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Pretty durable stuff. Water beads up nicely after multiple washes. As the others stated, it is so easy to apply, that it does not really matter.

opass
05-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Anthony Orosco

To put everyones mind at ease (those who question it) you can use OCW after every wash because it having no cleaners and being a polymer it can be layered.

I just did 5 or 6 cars today, they are the same 5 or 6 cars I do every Thursday and everyone of them gets a spray and wipe down with OCW. Paint, glass and wheels. It is now pretty much my stand alone sealer.

After I wash the car I rinse it, blow it dry and then lightly mist one panel at a time with the OCW, wipe and buff and then move on.

Today though I did something a bit different on my last wash of the day. I washed the car, rinsed it then I lightly misted the entire car down with OCW while still wet. I then took a ww mf towel and wiped the car down. This did not dry the car but it did move the OCW around on the cars paint and glass.

I then rinsed the car down again with my pressure washer and then blew it dry....I was amazed at how well the car dried. I mean my blower blew just about every drop of water right off the car, I only had to dab up a spot or two and lightly went over some glass and that was it. Now this may be more hassle than what it`s worth but it was a pretty cool experiment:D

Anthony

Blower to dry cars. That`s sound fun. Which one are you using? Please PM me.:cool: