PDA

View Full Version : Megs #2

Pages : [1] 2

Pb2theMax
05-11-2005, 09:38 PM
This will be my first time using a PC on damaged paint. My wifes black car has some light scratches where it looks like the previous owner used an abrasive pad or compound on a few areas. You can`t really feel it, you can just see a lot of back-and-forth lines and haze. There are some deeper scratches on the doors though.

I bought some 3M Swirl Remover (for dark colors) and also some Megs #2 fine-cut. I`m assuming this is a pretty safe level of cut to start with. I have the SFX pad kit.

Does anybody have some advice for using these particular products? Which speed, technique, and pad to use. Thanks

Black240SX
05-12-2005, 02:26 AM
I tried the 3M SMR with no luck at all. Maybe you`ll do better with it...

Alfisti
05-12-2005, 04:54 AM
#2 is also a compound for rotary use only.

You`ll be in a worse situation than when you started.

The most aggressive polish I`d suggest is #83 or PowerPolish with a white pad or (or less aggressive green pad for a glossier finish).

SpoiledMan
05-12-2005, 09:00 AM
Check your bottle on the #2. If it`s the new version it`s usable by hand, PC, orbital or rotary and does as good or better job as #80 in terms of cutting and then breaking down to a fine polish.

Alfisti
05-12-2005, 11:31 AM
There`s a new version?

Megs website still says "for rotary use only". :nixweiss

the other pc
05-12-2005, 12:09 PM
They reformulated #2. The new version is for rotary, DA and hand use.

Not sure if it`s on the shelves yet. SpoiledMan and I got it direct from Meg`s.

PC.

Glossequation
05-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Pb2theMax

I bought some 3M Swirl Remover (for dark colors)

This stuff blows, don`t waste your time with it. There are other polishes out there that you can effectively and safely remove defects with and leave a LSP-ready finish. My personal favorite is 3M FCRC (fine cut) with a white polishing pad, spread on @ 4, worked in @ 5. I really think this is about as aggressive as you want to go and can be with the PC. You could go to a cutting pad, but I found it to not be more effective than the white polishing pad. In fact, it did the same work but left micromarring. Anything this doesn`t take out may require a rotary or repaint.

Don`t let the name fool you, it is not really a compound, just a fairly aggressive polish that works! This stuff is simply amazing. Read my review if you`d like. :up

BTW - nice black `Coma...:xyxthumbs

Accumulator
05-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by the other pc

They reformulated #2. The new version is for rotary, DA and hand use....

Interesting...thanks for the info. Learn something every day :D This might be a great addition to the Meg`s lineup.

stevet
05-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by the other pc

They reformulated #2. The new version is for rotary, DA and hand use.

Not sure if it`s on the shelves yet. SpoiledMan and I got it direct from Meg`s.

PC.

News to me. Any info on where the new #2 fits on the Megs abrasive scale?

the other pc
05-12-2005, 03:54 PM
I`ll have to compare the two bottles side-by-side when I get home tonight but I think they have the same scale rating on the labels.

PC.

SpoiledMan
05-12-2005, 04:21 PM
I don`t know what the old one is but the new one is a 5 on Meguiar`s cut scale. It seems to break down kind of quick like #80 and is very easy to use. We found that using it on a black NSX that there was little pressure (about 2 pounds) needed on the head of the PC (set at 5) to polish with success.

stevet
05-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Interesting. The old #2 was ranked a 5 on the Megs abrasive scale but Mike Philips said that was a mistake and that #2 was actually more abrasive than DACP wich is ranked a 6. I think I will go to Megs on line and ask Mike directly for some info.

the other pc
05-13-2005, 01:25 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/theotherpc/prefersnew2.jpg

My old bottle of old #2 didnâ€â„¢t have a scale on the label. As SpoiledMan said, the new bottle is rated at 5.

PC.

Alfisti
05-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by SpoiledMan

I don`t know what the old one is but the new one is a 5 on Meguiar`s cut scale. It seems to break down kind of quick like #80 and is very easy to use. We found that using it on a black NSX that there was little pressure (about 2 pounds) needed on the head of the PC (set at 5) to polish with success.

Sounds like a great product to add (more stuff!) to the collection. Funny, the pic at Megs site is the new bottle but the blurb states "for rotary use only".

Isn`t #80 scaled at 5? What differences did you find between #2 and #80?

SpoiledMan
05-13-2005, 09:01 AM
#80 is a 4 and is a glaze. #2 is a cleaner and doesn`t seem to do much filling BUT I haven`t checked that. It`s really easy to wipe away unlike #83 and there is little product to wipe away. Different strokes for different paint as the Honda black wasn`t responding well to #80 applied the usual way.