PDA

View Full Version : Will magnetic signs scratch paint????

The Big Kahuna
05-11-2005, 07:50 PM
I am thinking about getting a sheet of 30mil magnetic sign material colored to match my paint. I will use it to cover my doors as ding protection when I cannot find a good parking stall.

My theory is that it will not attract a lot of attention like the ding protectors on the market and thereby keep the vandals away.

How safe on the paint do you think this will be?

What if I put a mf towel between the two or even coat the magnetic side w/ talc powder?

Wasatch
05-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Me personally, would not take the chance.

Mochamanz1
05-11-2005, 08:47 PM
It is sometimes hard to park your car in a crowded lot, especially in ones that have small stalls. The magnetic sign materials you are thinking about using do one thing that I would avoid. Being magnetic, it is possible to pick up ferrous fragments from many sources. These iron particles might be very tiny, but might still be large enough to marr your paint. A MF cloth as a barrier would help, but there is no guarrantee that it would prevent some problems with scratches. Cloth is 2 sided and you would have to watch out for that among other things, like contamination while storing the MF. I just park as far from people as possible. BTW, have you ever noticed that when you park in the farthest empty corner of the lot, someone driving THE most disgusting POS imaginable always seems to park right next to you- too close?:shocked

Tasty
05-11-2005, 09:34 PM
I wouldn`t put one on my paint either. Removing and resticking it has to produce some paint damage.

mataku
05-12-2005, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by mochamanz

BTW, have you ever noticed that when you park in the farthest empty corner of the lot, someone driving THE most disgusting POS imaginable always seems to park right next to you- too close?:shocked

yah I know what you mean. I REALLY hate that. Either some really crappy car or just some monster that takes up way too much space.

one place i really hate going to is walmart. NO ONE puts their carts back. I park far yet somehow a cart always gets next to me. I think they should do that quarter trick, knowing walmart`s customers everyone would put their carts back.

foxtrapper
05-12-2005, 05:31 AM
Are you really going to religiously put this on the car every time you park, and remove it when you go? If not, you get water under it, and the same problems with paint damage one sees from bras on the front.

Door dings often involve some metal damage, so you still would have the dings, just less scraping of the paint itself.

Because of the way people park, I get dings in my fenders as well as the doors.

splattj
05-12-2005, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by mochamanz

I just park as far from people as possible. BTW, have you ever noticed that when you park in the farthest empty corner of the lot, someone driving THE most disgusting POS imaginable always seems to park right next to you- too close?:shocked

Heh, that was me when I was 16 and drove a nice POS. Sorry about that. How could I have known? Of course, I wasn`t an evil little sh**. I didn`t go slamming my doors into people. I just liked parking next to really nice cars out in the middle of the lot. :o

arc
05-12-2005, 11:37 AM
I was reading recently somewhere (I want to say Car and Driver but I don`t remember for sure) that prolonged exposure to the magnets in those stick on ribbons, flags, etc, does something to the paint that will change the color slightly. If I remember right, it had to do with polarizing the paint. I would think that the scratching possibility would be worse, though.

Sorry, pretty vague, I know, but I read it in passing and, since I would never put stuff like that on a car I owned, I didn`t really care to get all the details.