PDA

View Full Version : How much pressure...applying product by hand.

grahamb
05-11-2005, 12:05 PM
This is a pretty noobie question, but I have not seen it discussed. I did a search and saw a few mentions about when using a PC, but not when applying product by hand.

The question (as the subject implies) - when applying product by hand, how much pressure should be used? How hard should I push down? I was originally just thinking about waxing, but I guess this goes for all stages of detailing -

Washing?

Claying?

Polishing?

Waxing?

Quick deatiling?

When applying wax, should I just press down enough to spread the product thin, or should I rub really hard?

Thanks in advance!!

Mikeman
05-11-2005, 09:55 PM
I`ve found that rubbing hard on the paint quite often produces undesireable results, no matter if I am washing, polishing, waxing, etc.. Use light to moderate pressure. Be gentle. Don`t be in a hurry.

Mikeman

imported_themightytimmah
05-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Go gentle with wax, clay, pure polish, etc, and for ScratchX, etc, go hard to start and then soften up as you work it in.

Accumulator
05-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Yeah, the only time you want any real pressure is when you`re trying to *really* work the paint to abrade away serious marring.

Washing should be virtually *no* pressure at all. IMO just pressing a mitt against the finish is usually too much and is what causes wash-induced marring.

Claying should also be a *very* gentle process. I probably don`t apply mush more pressure than it takes to keep the clay against the paint.

Waxing, same thing. Just enough to make the wax transfer from the applicator to the finish.

QDing, even less pressure than waxing.

If you see any "swirls"/"spiderwebs"/similar marring, it means you`re pressing something against the paint too hard.