05-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Product:

Meguiar`s NXT Insane Tire Shine Spray

http://meguiars.com/whatsnew/images/product_G-131.gif

Price & Price Per Ounce:

$6.99

$.46/ounce

Manufacturer Claims:

NXT Generation InsaneÄ Tire Shine Spray is the ULTIMATE in high gloss for tires Ãâ‚“ a deep, dark, Ãâ‚Å“insaneÃâ‚ wet look that is fast and easyÃâ‚Âjust spray and walk away. Engineered Synthetic Polymers combined with specially designed antiozonants create a mirror-like shine that lasts for weeks and prevent browning and premature aging.

Packaging:

Comes in a well labeled aerosol can with a nice accurate sprayer.

Color/Scent/Viscosity:

A fresh, yet solventy smell in a clear liquid.

How I used (as per instructions):

After the tires were thoroughly cleaned, I sprayed a light coat over the tires avoiding the rims. The spray went on evenly and coated very well with little product used.

Overall Thoughts:

The shine was pretty intense as described. The durability lasted through 1-2 rainstorms only slightly muting the insane shine look, but the product attracted a lot of grime which ended up building up on the tires. Also, the overspray that landed on the paint stuck pretty hard and took some NXT Speed Detailer to take it off.

Other Notes:

I will only now use for clients who request high shine. I like the shine on low profile tires, but the contaminant attraction and overspray problems really turned me away.

Purchasing:

www.meguiars.com

Pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/2005/DSC05128.jpg

NXT Paste Wax on paint

I am a member of the Meguiar`s Product Testing Team, but this review was purely objective in many ways and the feelings are true.

Maknmony
05-10-2005, 10:23 PM
I agree with your appraisal. This stuff is terrible looking. Great for a circus car.

Sellncars

01bluecls
05-10-2005, 11:03 PM
I actually like this product. I find using a Tire swipe to apply it works out better than just spraying it on. Tire swipe allows an even thin coat which intially is pretty shiney but after an hour the shine dies down. The thing I really like about this product for my tires is that the durability is real nice. I find it lasts a lot longer than Zaino Z16 after going through rain a couple of times. Grime buildup as you mentioned, I see that at times but it isnt that bad. I think if you apply it thickly, build-up will be a problem but applying it like I mentioned above I havent had too much trouble with that. I havent had any sling. I dont get overspray since i spray a tire swipe then apply.

Sean, Great review though....Just curious, have you tried applying a thin coat with a tire swipe? I assuming from your review you just sprayed it on?

TW85 HHI
05-10-2005, 11:05 PM
Looks like you applied oil directly to the tires.

JustinR32
05-11-2005, 08:20 AM
I sprayed some on a mf applicator and wiped it on my tires. It`s not as "insane" a shine, but it`s still pretty shiny.

I dunno. With almost any tire spray/gel/whatever, you have to choose between the super shine vs not lasting very long. Most matte look/flat look products look "gone" after a couple days.

I`d have to say my favorite is still the Endurance gel, applied it a tire swipe and then wiped down to knock of a little gloss and prevent sling.

I have a question that I`m going to ask on MOL. A lot of the new Meg`s spray products contain Hexane and Acetone; are those chemicals VOC compliant?

Tom

Bill D
05-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Yeah, such chemicals would really make me :nervous: :scared: Are they VOC complaint and what do they do to rubber? I thought I saw somewhere that hexane can attack rubber but I have no idea if that is only in pure form, high concentrations,etc....

stilez
05-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Never tried on a Tire Swipe, but thanks for noting. I will try that in the future.

Yeah Bill, I heard it does contain Hexane.

grt1today
05-11-2005, 09:18 AM
I actually like the look on tires because it matches an autopian type detailed car, but the sling really turned me off. If it was`nt so hard to take off the sling it would`nt be so bad. I am gonna try the tire swipe method instead of directly spraying it on next time. If it works as well without slinging, I will keep the product in the arsenal...

EBPcivicsi
05-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I will keep the product for customers that want the high gloss look, but can`t ever see putting it back on my car. The sling was UNBELIEVABLE!!! I even wiped it down and waited over night before driving it.

I have had no complaints from customers about sling. I do tell them before hand that there could be some sling with the product. Maybe it was just my sidewalls. :nixweiss

BigAl3
05-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by ebpcivicsi

can`t ever see putting it back on my car

agreed :o

grt1today
05-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by ebpcivicsi

can`t ever see putting it back on my car. The sling was UNBELIEVABLE!!! :nixweiss I would`nt be giving it a second shot if I had`nt bought 4 cans that were on sale. But if I even see the slightest slinging with the tire swipe, it`s history...

Mochamanz1
05-12-2005, 05:44 PM
I may be wrong, I am under the impression that there are 2 similar products from Meg`s, one is "Insane Shine" and the other is NXT Insane Shine".

SilverLexus
05-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Sean,

It seems you are really doing a lot of Megs reviews.

In the interest of full disclosure, could you explain how being a product tester works for them? Do you get free samples? are you paid?

I`m not questioning your final judgements. I`m just concerned that everything be out kept out in the open for people to judge for themselves.

Pats300zx
05-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Silverlexus...

Its my understanding that Megs how has a program (Product Reviewer Team) where folks can test out various products in exchange for doing reviews on the MOL review forum. A list of products was provided to the invitees showing what products would be tested.

In exchange for the reviews the testers are also put on a list to receive new products released in 2006.

All products are sent free of charge.

SilverLexus
05-12-2005, 09:47 PM
That`s cool Pat. Everyone knows I have a boat load of respect for Sean and his detailing talents. I made this post after some thought with more of a eye to making sure no one of us is put unfairly in a penalty box by others who may not be aware of the problem.

I hope you understand Sean where I am coming from on this.

I see no problem with testing products since that performs a valuable function for everyone.