PDA

View Full Version : 1st experience with NXT

Blackmirror
05-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Well I got a chance go apply NXT to my black F150. Its hard to get a thin coat with this wax. I ended up applying too much because it was hard to buff off:( . The wax does give the paint a wet look and I like that. How do I apply it real thin? Do I have to put some pressure on the pad when applying by hand? And should I go in oval motions or just straight back and forth?

JeffM
05-10-2005, 04:11 PM
I use one of those blue applicators with the grippy thing.

I will put some product on the pad, and then skip it across the surface, so i get alittle here, alittle there, then work the product into the area that there is product.

I can apply it so thin, it is hard to tell when it is dry on even medium colored vehicles, i just looks clear, more of a smudge.

I tried it with a MF applicator, and it worked ok, but i didnt like it as much. The foam i can push down on and get alittle more product out of the pad.

The PC is really nice to use also. Very thin, very quick, but cleaning your pad after isnt easy, works best on a polishing pad, not a finishing one.

I couldnt get the product out of my polishing pad, so i misted it with some QD, and did the wifes car with AIO.

The AIO broke down, or i used up, all the NXT and the pad came clean. This was after a whole car, so it makes sense.

NXT is hard to remove if any sun hits it at all, but in the shade, and thin, no problem.

chml17l
05-10-2005, 04:19 PM
NXT usually gets bashed for its lack of durability and isn`t known to be hard to remove. Did you apply the liquid or paste version?

If you have a PC, I would recommend a microfiber bonnet (the Sonus orange mf worked great for me) over a pad. Apply sparingly to the mf bonnet and use less and less as the mf loads up.

I was amazed how thinly the PC/mf bonnet combo let me apply the NXT. Removal was effortless with a mf towel.

Blackmirror
05-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by chml17l

NXT usually gets bashed for its lack of durability and isn`t known to be hard to remove. Did you apply the liquid or paste version?

I have the paste version.

atticdog
05-10-2005, 07:07 PM
I just used nxt paste for the first time on my motorcycle

I used the supplied applicator and it spread very thin and removed real easy

I did this after useing #80 on a green sonus pad

Looks great cant wait to see it tommorow in the sun

Blackmirror
05-10-2005, 08:16 PM
When applying with a pad by hand is it ok to press a little on the pad to help spread the product more?

I still can`t tell when I apply too much or too little. Should the paint look cloudy after applying a paste wax?

chml17l
05-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Blackmirror

When applying with a pad by hand is it ok to press a little on the pad to help spread the product more?

I still can`t tell when I apply too much or too little. Should the paint look cloudy after applying a paste wax?

I believe JBM said it best "I can apply it so thin, it is hard to tell when it is dry on even medium colored vehicles, i just looks clear, more of a smudge."

Since NXT is really more of a sealant than an old school paste wax applying it thickly is merely a waste of product and a workout for your arms. Two light coats approximately 12-24 hours apart would be much better than one heavy coat. When applying by hand, I used a Megs yellow foam applicator. If you are having initial problems spreading the wax, try a spritz of qd or NXT spray wax on your applicator. Remember, less is really better--if it looks very cloudy, you`re probably overapplying it.