PDA

View Full Version : Souveran curing time?

imported_Unreal
05-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Hey all I just used Souveran for the first time today. I only put one layer on so far. I am probably going to go with 3 all togethor.

Do you need to wait any legnth of time between layers?

Thanks,

Tommy

Jngrbrdman
05-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Souveran is a wax and not a sealant. There is no cure time. You can buff it off as soon as you apply it if you want. The jury is still out on layering waxes. Some think that you`ll just blend the two together and end up with just as much wax on the surface as before. Others think it it really does make a difference. Technically you can put on another layer as soon as you want to. I really wouldn`t expect any huge appearance difference above and beyond what you got with the first layer though.

imported_Unreal
05-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

Souveran is a wax and not a sealant. There is no cure time. You can buff it off as soon as you apply it if you want. The jury is still out on layering waxes. Some think that you`ll just blend the two together and end up with just as much wax on the surface as before. Others think it it really does make a difference. Technically you can put on another layer as soon as you want to. I really wouldn`t expect any huge appearance difference above and beyond what you got with the first layer though.

Thanks, I tried to put it on very thin so I might just do a 2nd layer to ensure complete coverage.

Mochamanz1
05-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Wax is a compound/mixture, composed of many components. The deal is, that when the softening /carrier agents evaporate, you are left with a truly harder product on the paint. So waiting does make a difference, IMHO. The second application (layer) is like pouring water on ice (in a sub-freezing ambient temperature), if the water is not too hot, or in too much (too much wax applied) quantity, the water will freeze onto the ice layer without melting much of it. I think this analogy is appropriate and correct.:xyxthumbs

Red Wolf
05-10-2005, 12:56 PM
I`d wait a day or two wash the car down and apply another coat. I find souveren looks better the day after I apply a coat, not sure if this means it has "set" or if it s just my memory failing/different lighting(most likely).

SDLexus
05-10-2005, 08:59 PM
On one of the printed instructions that come with the Souveran it says to allow the first layer to cure for 12 to 48 hours. "The first coat must have time to cure. Applying a second coat immediately will not produce the same results."

spotpad
05-10-2005, 11:45 PM
At worst, a second layer applied immediately will ensure a more complete coverage.

Since your intention is to add more depth putting on multiple coats, it`s best to follow the manufacturer`s instructions.

Btw, you didn`t mention if you were using liquid or paste.

IMHO, paste waxes are more "layerable" than liquid because of the solvent content. But that`s just my humble opinion.

Mochamanz1
05-11-2005, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by merci

IMHO, paste waxes are more "layerable" than liquid because of the solvent content.

The fact that liquid waxes can be layered shows that there are probably no more solvents in the liquid than the paste. More solvent content would mean that the next layer would disolve more of the previous application. This would render all the effort to apply the first layer, wasted effort and product. Instead, IMHO, the liquid wax is mixed in with an emulsifying medium, plus the normal solvent to make the carnauba content spreadable. The reason liquid waxes are offered is so that they can be applied by machine more readily. Pastes are more often than not , hand applied.:xyxthumbs

Tanat198
05-11-2005, 03:06 AM
IMHO, it does have cure time. I could be wrong. I normally wait overnight to apply a second coat.

Enjoy.