PDA

View Full Version : Hazing with #83

ClueByFour
05-10-2005, 10:00 AM
I am about 20 hours in to the first real detail given to a 19 year old mustang. The single stage paint had every possible type of defect, and many swirls. The vertical panels went pretty quick - 1x #83 Yellow LC pad, 2x #83 Orange LC pad, 2x #9 White LC pad. These look great. The horizontal panels are another story. On the hood I have done 5X #83 LC Yellow pad, 2 X #83 Orange pad., 2 X #9 with LC White pad. It looks much better, but there is some hazing that can just be seen in the right light. I didnâ€â„¢t see this until I put some AIO on part of the hood. I think the hazing is from the #83 on the Yellow pad. I am already to finish this project but I could use some advice on what is the right next step to remove the hazing completely?

Try #83 with the Orange pad again?

Try #83 with the white pad?

Try #9 with the Orange pad?

Try #9 with the white pad again?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

94BlkStang
05-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by ClueByFour

I am about 20 hours in to the first real detail given to a 19 year old mustang. The single stage paint had every possible type of defect, and many swirls. The vertical panels went pretty quick - 1x #83 Yellow LC pad, 2x #83 Orange LC pad, 2x #9 White LC pad. These look great. The horizontal panels are another story. On the hood I have done 5X #83 LC Yellow pad, 2 X #83 Orange pad., 2 X #9 with LC White pad. It looks much better, but there is some hazing that can just be seen in the right light. I didnâ€â„¢t see this until I put some AIO on part of the hood. I think the hazing is from the #83 on the Yellow pad. I am already to finish this project but I could use some advice on what is the right next step to remove the hazing completely?

Try #83 with the Orange pad again?

Try #83 with the white pad?

Try #9 with the Orange pad?

Try #9 with the white pad again?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Wow, you definitely get an "A" for patience. Sounds like the car is in need of a person that is highly experienced with a rotary. There are just so many defects the PC can deal with and beyond that a rotary will not only reduce the amount of time but also get out more defects. One thing to consider, don`t expect perfection on a 19 year old paint job. It just isn`t going to happen.

But, to answer your question, I would use Meguiars Speed Glaze with a white pad (#9 will work if you already have it, but Speed Glaze is much easier to work with and brings out a nicer finish). That should take care of your hazing. I`ve used the DACP and Speed Glaze process many times followed by Clearkotes VM and the LSP of choice. The VM really brings out that final pop. Good luck and post some pics if you can.:D

JustinR32
05-10-2005, 10:20 AM
I expect #83 to haze when it`s doing a big job, major cutting.

I follow with Menzerna IP & polishing pad, and FP with a finishing pad. The IP gets the hazing, the FP gives the finish a glassy look. If you want a locally available product, #80 does about the same thing as IP.

Tom

ClueByFour
05-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks for your comments. I want to try to finish this tonight, so I will continue with a white pad and the #9 as I have both on hand. Hopefully this will correct the haze I introduced with the #83. Once I`m done with this "restoration" I hope to never have to compound the paint again. What polish should I be looking at for my next polish. So far I have heard good things about #80, MPP and Menzerna IP. Any other suggestions for a "maintenance" polish? I plan on finishing up with AIO and SG, so hopefully I have several months before I need to worry about my next polish purchase.

Lowejackson
05-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Would #9 not be to mild to follow #83?

ClueByFour
05-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Yes â€â€œ It seems that #9 is too mild to break down the haze from cutting with #83. I searched through a bunch of old posts and found Some good information. Someone commented that #83 on a polishing pad will break down the haze from using #83 on a cutting pad. I tried this last night and it seems to work. I do think that # 80 is next on my list. Thanks for your help with this.

SK2003TypeS
05-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Yeah, a lot of people follow #83 with #80.