PDA

View Full Version : I`ve give up on my Honda paint!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

twopu
05-09-2005, 08:14 PM
I spend hours buffing out ALL the swirls and scratches (SSR 2.5, 80, EX-P 2x, & 16) on my black Honda Accord only to have them come back after the first wash. I`ve tried everything: 2 bucket wash, wash top then bottom, light pressure, ALWAYS using clean waffle weave towels, sheep skin and cotton mitt. No matter what they just come back. I`m beginning to think that I`m just going to have to live with it. Are there any fillers that can hide it since I can`t get rid of them? HELP!!!

EBPcivicsi
05-09-2005, 08:46 PM
I always try to tell people about black Hondas, they are IMPOSSIBLE to keep swirl free. I had a sherwood forrest green pearl (basically black) accord until oct of last year, it was the same way. Trust me, no matter what you do, you will still have minor marring. IMO, it is best to just minimze by using the correct tools, sounds like you have that down. I would also recommend looking into some glazes such as meguiars 3,5,7,81 and use an old school heavy wax such as #16 as your lsp.

Good luck!!!!!

SpoiledMan
05-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Yep!

klnyc
05-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Try SSR3 or Power Gloss. I done it on a black Civic, I got it out okay, but I use rotary thou. What you using?

SpoiledMan
05-09-2005, 09:44 PM
The problem isn`t getting rid of it but keeping it perfect or even close.

s2skimon
05-09-2005, 09:47 PM
I always try to tell people about black Hondas, they are IMPOSSIBLE to keep swirl free.

I have to tend to disagree. With the proper prep, proper MF towel care, proper wash regiment and proper lsp, black hondas are a cinch..

i`ve been working on a 2002 s2000 which has `never` seen a swirl

Bill D
05-09-2005, 09:47 PM
Do you think black Honda paint is harder than Hondas of other colors?

I`d stick to non filling polishes and as you know well, spending plenty of time with the PC. Sounds to me that you already used filling products, topped them with #16 but they wore away any way. With summer coming and it getting hotter, fillers are probably going to last for less and less time.

I`ve used a Cyclo on one with a little bit faster results.

MorBid
05-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Personally, I think it`s just a "Black Car" thing. I have a Black Audi and follow all the things you mentioned and I find it`s near impossible to keep the car mar free with conventional wash techniques.

For me it doesn`t help that where I work half the parking lots are un-paved and there`s always road work going on in my town. So the car is constanly getting coated w/a fine gravely type of dust

The best thing I can think of is a touch-less washing system at home that gets the car completely clean and dry without the use of any materials gliding across the panels.

kleraudio
05-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Hey MorBid,

Give that Mr. Clean thing a try. I forgot whats its called but its got that spot free and touch free drying system. My neighbor bought one and i tried it out. It actually worked!! No water spots anywhere and a towel never touched the car during drying! You might want to look into it.

Jim

xnevergiveinx
05-10-2005, 01:52 AM
my scion tC is about 3 months old...crappy crappy clearcoat, crappy paint too, you can totally tell they skimped on the pain job, it`s got a decent degree of orange peal.

my tC cries when i want to claybar it...it comes out looking very lightly sanded, even when i claybar with soap suds covering the car and with a new peice of clay, folding often with very light pressure.

we are in the same boat. i`ve found hope though, with meg`s tech wax, it`s a great filler synthetic wax. after one coat you`ll be impressed, layer it and you swirls are gone, then top it with a coat or 2 of carnuba to keep the fillers from fading away and your all set

Lowejackson
05-10-2005, 06:46 AM
I would agree with Bill D, it sounds like the fillers are hiding the swirls for a short time.

Bill D
05-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Morbid,

You and I both have black Audis. Definitely think about the non marring washing technique via foam gun (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35232)

jocktheglide
05-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by MorBid

Personally, I think it`s just a "Black Car" thing. I have a Black Audi and follow all the things you mentioned and I find it`s near impossible to keep the car mar free with conventional wash techniques.

so true I think its a black thing also because black is a color that shows even the minor imperfections in a car. I think the best bet is to wash, wax, protect your car and leave it in the garage...........:D

twopu
05-10-2005, 02:40 PM
I`m far from a professional but I`d like to think I`m several steps a above a novice. With all the cars I have worked on, my car has been the most difficult to keep swirl free. To say it`s a "cinch" is a bit much. This is a daily driver never garaged or covered. I`m glad to hear that I`m not crazy and others are feeling my pain.

I thank you for all your input and I will continue to reading to deal with my issues. I`m learning that it doesn`t pay to spend hours shooting for perfection but being an obsessive compulsive detailer I`ll wind up doing it anyway.

maecrispy
05-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Just had to post this...

So I`m detailing my buddy`s black TSX and he`s helping me out. I polish, he removes. I just spent 20 min. on the right side of the hood getting it just right. I move to the trunk to work on that area when I glance up... my buddy just picked up a dirty terry towel from the terry bin and is furiously wiping away in circles the residue from my polishing job. Of course, the towel he picked up had just been used for door jamb, fender cleaning. He basically turned back the clock and undid in 20 seconds what took me 20 min.

In the end, he made me realize something though. For him (who just doesn`t think it`s worth the time to wash a car the way I`d like him to), perfection is not the goal. Now, I just use VM every now and then for light polishing and filling and top with whatever looks decent. That way, I`m not removing too much clear and causing him to obsess over a finish that he can`t keep perfect for more than a week.

Not the Autopian ideal but it`s his car and bottom line, it`s what he wants...