PDA

View Full Version : Headlight cleaning??

imported_n1976jmk
05-09-2005, 04:34 PM
I have a detail to do tomorrow, i thinks its a 2000 or 2001 ford mystique, and the headlight look sorta yellow, without sanding them i would like to clean them up a bit for him. my question is in own plastic x and the two seperate bottles, of meg`s plastic cleaner and polish, numbers 10 and 17 i think. which would be better to use for this application and can i use a pc with them?

thanks,

jon

dawiyo
05-09-2005, 04:40 PM
I can`t comment on the #10 and number #17 but I have had great success with Plastx. It`s my go to for anything clear plastic and usually does an exceptional job.

imported_n1976jmk
05-09-2005, 04:41 PM
do u use a pc with it?

dawiyo
05-09-2005, 04:46 PM
I didn`t and just used a foam applicator and a microfiber to buff off.

Here`s a quote from 2hotford comparing Plastx and Plexus but you get the idea:

Originally posted by 2hotford

In comparison to Meguiar`s own #10 and #17, I can say without a doubt that Plastx smells a heck of a lot better!!! In terms of performance, this Meguiar`s combo(#10 and #!7) has been my old stand by for reliability. I know that I can always count on them to do the job! BUT, along comes Plastx with its diminishing abrasives. I find that it does not quite equal the Meguiar`s Combo, but it comes in at 95% as close!! Plus, it is only one step!!

The trick with using Plastx is in how it is worked in. Those diminishing abrasives need to be worked in very well!! I did one light by just wiping it on and wiping it off. The gloss was fine but the scratches remain. In that sense, I would have to give Plexus the nod if it was just a wipe on, wipe off type of product.

On the other light however, I really worked the Plastx in! The difference was remarkable!! The best part was the len`s clarity and gloss!! In a way, Plastx reminds me of DACP in the way it needs to be worked in and broken down.

Overall, that Plastx is one of the best plastic cleaners around. If you want the absolute best IMHO, then Meguiar`s combo of #10 and #17 would be on my list. If you want very close performance to that of the Meg`s combo in a one step, then Plastx is it.

Link to the thread. (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25243)

stevet
05-09-2005, 05:56 PM
I don`t agree with 2hotford`s comparison. I find Megs #10 and #17 are not even close to Plastx. Plastx is the best plastic polish I have used. I can remove some pretty bad scratches with it. I tried #10 and #17 and to be honest it was not very good at all. Couldn`t correct even very mild defects. Not only is Plastx better but it`s one step and leaves some protection behind. Works great with a PC and by hand.

LouisanaJeeper
05-09-2005, 05:59 PM
mothers mag and aluminum, yes metal polish

followed by toothpaste

both with cotton towels

imported_perry
05-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique are the same.. yellowed / hazed headlights on those cars is pretty common. Check out this thread on contour.org for lots of info on cleaning the headlights:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=aesthetics&Number=571871

I have the older style Contour and I wetsanded using 1500 grit and 2000 grit then Mother`s Mag & Aluminum polish.