PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Leather Cleaner

imported_SJR
05-09-2005, 01:22 PM
I bought Meguiar`s Gold Class Rich Leather Wipes to clean some muddy paw prints off the passenger seat of my new Mazda 6s (<400 miles). The wipes changed the color of the leather from a dark grey to black and left a shine and an odd smell.

Is this color change permanent? Will it wear off? It`s not bad looking, but I didn`t necessarily start out to change the color or sheen. Now I have one black seat and the rest is the original color. So I either need to wipe the whole car or remove the Meguiar`s.

Since I did this, I have researched how to care for leather here on Autopia.org (too late I know) so I know my mistakes and what to do next time. However, what are my options now?

Based on my experience, I can`t recommend this product, at least for Mazda leather.

Hemi57
05-09-2005, 06:45 PM
SJR, welcome to the forum.

Coincidentially I bought Meguiars Gold Class Leather Conditioner (ok, so it not the exact same product) and I am interested to see the advice you get on your query. I have not used the product yet but I found it a little unusual that the instructions state to try on an inconspicuous area first. I though the stuuf would be suitable for all leather and all colours.

imported_n1976jmk
05-09-2005, 07:37 PM
ok, most new cars with leather, especially darker colors, are dry from delivery at the dealer, so when you used the leather wipe it started to condition the leather a little bit, best thing to do is to go buy a leather clean/conditioner seperate or together and do all the leather surfaces in the interior and everything will darken up together, and follow up doing this once a month or so, especially the drivers seat. i have done alot of cars with dark leather and when i return them to the customer they cannot believe how the leather looks, also best thing to do after you apply to all surfaces is to go back and buff off with a microfiber....

enjoy,

jon

dont use the leather wipes on everything, just buy a bottle of it, cause you would not want to waste too many of them and they wont work as well, just leave them in your car for touch up, like when your dog gets a muddy print on them

meguairs makes great leather products....

ps- they only say that on the bottle, cause all there products say that, they just want you to make sure it works ok, most leather interiors have a clearcoat on them, but some dont, so they want you to be careful on those.... much higher end cars....

also, i have noticed that most bmw`s, and mercedes, have very dry leather and i think the reason is because it is higher grade of leather than most, and will dry out faster because of this, i did this 2004 530i, that had black interior, but when i started it was gray, and stained very easily, the owner was very happy when i returned and now detail it 4 times a year!!

imported_SJR
05-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Thank you for the advice.

TEGBOY
05-11-2005, 05:25 AM
If you are natural and soft leather, I cannot speak highly of the Zaino twins, there is a seperate cleaner and a treatment product and adds the most beautiful leather smell again :)

Well worth looking into.