PDA

View Full Version : What to charge?

Pages : [1] 2

98RegalGS
05-09-2005, 11:33 AM
What would be a normal charging price for say a wash, clay bar, klasse twins, wheels/tires and probably a vacuum + quick interior shine?

This would be for a regular passenger sedan.

thanks

98RegalGS
05-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Let me add also that the car is a 99 model year, black, and has a dull look becuase its never been waxed really in its life. Its swirled pretty good, and I just have 3m Swirl mark remover and no rotary/PC.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

joeyto
05-09-2005, 11:52 AM
No less than $100.00 Probably around $130.00 Because everything is by hand

Hemi57
05-09-2005, 05:04 PM
I reckon you should estimate the amount of time you think it will take you and then consider how much your time is worth per hour. Add to that the product you will use and the expense to go buy the stuff.

Of course if you are doing it for some of your own satisfaction or for a good friend then charge whatever you feel comfortable with.

imported_themightytimmah
05-10-2005, 10:22 PM
I would charge around 100 for that, but I would usually try to talk the customer out of getting the Klasse twins in that situation. On a black car that has not been heavily polished, they tend to bring out all the defects. I`d go for 3M SMR (its really more of a glaze than anything else, IIRC), then follow up with S100, or just go straight from clay to NXT. You can top NXT with SG if you want, I guess. It seems to hide swirls a lot better than AIO, esp. on black.

tensors22288
05-11-2005, 06:54 AM
most people in my neighborhood dont know what polishing is or does so ive stopped trying to talk people into it. i not a pro but i been chargin 80 bucks to do a wash, bug/tar removal, wheel/tire cleaning with shine, wheel well cleaning, full wax (usually megs gold), and trim detailing for outside. on the inside i do full vacuum, wipe down, protectant (nxt), clean/condition the leather if they have it. clean mats and spot clean stained upholstry, and dash dusting with a small brush for vents and other tight areas. that takes me about 3-5 hrs usually depending on the car. i usually charge about 80 bucks. u guys think this is enough because i do an awesom job and its cheap and just was my town wants, so i dont know if raising the price is worth it

98RegalGS
05-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Would 3M SMR benefit the car if i did it by hand?

So you advise against the Klasse Twins then huh. What about AIO to clean it up, 3M SMR then NXT?

capt512
05-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Tensors, I have the same problem in my area most people don`t know what polishing is and see no reason to do it. So I am offering the same package as you right now for the same price, and taking about the same amount of time. I too don`t know if its priced right though.

tensors22288
05-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by capt512

Tensors, I have the same problem in my area most people don`t know what polishing is and see no reason to do it. So I am offering the same package as you right now for the same price, and taking about the same amount of time. I too don`t know if its priced right though.

it sucks very much. i dont even want to try to explain what clay does and im sure most people dont want some punk 17 yr old kid who they think doesnt know much, running a bar a clay along their car. and the polish thing sux cause the cars could loook freakin amazing with a light polish yet they refuse it. but 80 seems like a decent price for what we doing, i dont no though

C. Charles Hahn
05-11-2005, 10:13 AM
I`ve got a dillemma right now with pricing, too. I usually charge $100 as a minimum unless the vehicle is REALLY clean to start with; but I did some work for my boss last fall that required some rather extreme cleaning for $80 as a favor since she had done something to mess up her new car; now she`s sending me all kinds of referrals with truly nasty cars. However, they all come in saying "hey I heard you do good work for really cheap" and I don`t know what to do about it. I hate to offend anybody or lose business by quoting high, but I can`t work for hardly any profit either.

imported_guapsnaman
05-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

I`ve got a dillemma right now with pricing, too. I usually charge $100 as a minimum unless the vehicle is REALLY clean to start with; but I did some work for my boss last fall that required some rather extreme cleaning for $80 as a favor since she had done something to mess up her new car; now she`s sending me all kinds of referrals with truly nasty cars. However, they all come in saying "hey I heard you do good work for really cheap" and I don`t know what to do about it. I hate to offend anybody or lose business by quoting high, but I can`t work for hardly any profit either.

Tell them the actual price and to check elsewhere to see if they can find quality work up to par as yours. They`ll look at you and say, "Oh, well I guess you are good."

When I do favors, I usually let the person know, so that if they want to refer me, he/she won`t go on and tell others that I`m charging dirt cheap.

imported_Denzil
05-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

Just let your referrals know that that was a promotional pricing that you offered your boss. Also, be sure you speak with your boss to let her know why you gave her that pricing and that it only applied to her.

tensors22288
05-11-2005, 05:29 PM
the thing is they can go to other guys around me who charge 150 and up to do everything i do plus polish, clay, and more specific time consuming things (engine detail ect)

most people just want a fresh waxed car that looks shiny and a clean inside so they can get rid of the reminders of how badly they an their kids treat the car. i would love to polish, clay, and detail everycars engine but that would qualify me more along the lines of a pro who charges more money an most people in my town just dont want that...really dont know if i should keep doin what i doin or step it up

Mitchubishievo
05-11-2005, 06:38 PM
I too had a dilema with charging...so I this little brochure for everything I can do! I charge $50-$70 ($50 car, $60 large car/normal suv, $70 large suv) for a wash , wax, and interior job. I wash and remove tar+baugs, wax, clean the windows up, and dress trim and tires. Then, for the interior, I do a very thorough vacuuming, clean+condition leather, clean+protect vinyl, clean glass on the inside, wide down door jambs and etc...no carpet cleaning or stain removal. What you have to do is offer "upgrades" and just tack on a price; I have to because any mats I clean have dirt so deep and coffee everywhere that it takes another hour or more for all the mats and carpets. I feel I charge a very fair amount considering I still use better products and a better process than the Delta Sonic by my house. I do, however, have a few customers who have what I call "Car Spa" done where I

Exterior:

Dawn wash

Z-18 claybar

Z-7 wash

SSR2.5

SSR 1

Z-7 wash

Z-5

Z-2

Z-2

Souveran

Glass:

Z-12 on glass

Coat Windshield and front glass with Rain Clear/Fog Clear Inside

Wheels/Tires:

AIO

Wheel Wax

Z-16

Interior:

Vacuum

Stain Removal/Shampoo carpets

Z-9

Z-10

303 Aerospace on Vinyl

And I charge from $185-$215 ($185 car, $200 large car/normal suv, $215 large suv) for this...it took me about 11 hours one time on a minivan with which the family drives 3 kids around :eek:.

Beason
05-11-2005, 06:58 PM
I wouldnt ask me, my prices are very cheap. I only charge $100 for this... click the link

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55613