PDA

View Full Version : car shampoos.... fact or fiction?

Andy69
05-09-2005, 05:20 AM
Do car shampoos actually add shine to your car or is it just hype? ie sonax claims `gloss enhancing shampoo`, P21s claims `bodywork conditioning` etc etc

ntwrkguy1
05-09-2005, 06:11 AM
I`m skeptical. I`ve used P21S before, as well as Meguiar`s Gold Class. Yes, they both cleaned well, but I didn`t see any `gloss enhancement` afterwards.

tom p.
05-09-2005, 06:30 AM
Some of the products clearly add a shine to the finish. Sonax certainly does. As far as "conditioning", I am not sure what they`re trying to convey apart from a little marketing sizzle. ;) Paint is inert.

ttapin
05-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by tom p.

Some of the products clearly add a shine to the finish. Sonax certainly does. As far as "conditioning", I am not sure what they`re trying to convey apart from a little marketing sizzle. ;) Paint is inert.

Another vote for Sonax;)

Lou G

Nick M
05-09-2005, 07:41 AM
Sonax definately adds a liitle more `something` to the paint afterwards, so does P21s in my opinion.....more so than Meg`s GC.

I used P21s yesterday and after drying, looked like a freshly waxed car. I polished the car two weeks ago with AIO and topped with EX-P and Natty`s, so that maybe had something to do with it - the `wet-shine` certainly returned...:D

Richt
05-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Sonax does add to the the look of the paint when you have just washed, revives the just waxed look as others have said. Used NXT for the first time in a while yesterday as I was to lazy to go and get some more Sonax from the reserves, that also gives a good finish to.

Charlie Matco
05-09-2005, 09:52 AM
i can tell you from my own experience that a bad car wash soap removes gloss.

based on the reviews, i tried to find sonax a few weeks ago. no go here in the states. they have re-bottled their product under some canadian racers name and slapped on another name called NTS7. when you go to the www.nts7.com web site it is a dead link.

i further investigated to find that Newtown Sales is listed as the distributor for the USA (same as canada), but when you call the number it is nts7. very odd.

Bill D
05-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Charlie Matco

i can tell you from my own experience that a bad car wash soap removes gloss.

Yeah, from what I read, the "cheapie, bad" car washes can contain salt ( and/or butyls) which might help in removing dirt but strip the paint of the LSP. Salt in general isn`t great for automotive surfaces