PDA

View Full Version : car washes

Andy69
05-09-2005, 02:21 AM
Sometimes on my way home from work, to save time and enable me to get another coat of sealent/wax on in the evening i stop off at a car wash place that washes your car for you by hand.

They spray it with traffic film remover, powerwash it as a pre clean, spray it with suds and wash with a sponge before powerwashing it again and drying with a chamios.

I have to admit it does come out very clean, cost me £5 ($10) but i was wondering if this is slowly causing my paint damage.

I have doubts over the use of a sponge, but am mostly worried about the traffic film remover. Will this be removing all my wax?

Andrew Timmins
05-09-2005, 03:26 AM
From stuff I`ve read on other sites I believe that you are lucky if they change the wash water more than twice a day. Also I doubt they clean the sponges and drying cloths that often(if at all). Perhaps a jet wash done yourself at a petrol station may be a better option if you`re short of time.

:wavey

Andrew

imported_vindaloo
05-09-2005, 03:51 AM
The traffic film remover will almost certainly remove all your wax, sealant etc. & I agree with Andrew the state of the sponges at the end of a busy day must be frightening. I think the swirls they will introduce will be frightening.

I wouldn`t let anyone else wash or detail my car as in my experience in the UK these hand washes let a load of underpaid youngsters loose on your pride and joy with absolutely no training whatsoever. Leave all car washes to the company car brigade.

I even ask the dealer not to wash my car when it goes for a service.