PDA

View Full Version : First time Polish and Wax by hand-how long

mataku
05-08-2005, 12:26 AM
I`m going to be doing a real waxing and polishing for the first time soon and I had a few questions regarding exactly how do I know when I`ve done enough passes with the products:

I plan on using PB SSR 2.5, 1 and Zaino with foam app.

SSR 2.5- I often read that you have to make sure you breakdown the product completely and that sometimes there`s dusting. What is dusting? How do I know when I`ve made enough passes?

The same questions pretty much apply when using SSR 1 and Zaino.

lastly, what kind of motions do I use for each of the product? Strictly horizontal and vertical or circular as well?

mataku
05-08-2005, 12:36 AM
Ok, i continued searching and found some answers.

Motion wise, i`ll stick to horizontal and vertical.

for SSR 2.5, it seems like I have to work the product until there is pretty much non of it left on the panel.

However, how about SSR 1 and Zaino?

Also, do I need to try to do it fast or anything like that or Do i just do it in a natural speed with normal pressure?

RuffRyder
05-08-2005, 02:02 AM
The problem is that it`s really, really difficult to remove those swirls with these products by hand. I mean, theoretically you could do it, but your hand/arm would probably feel like it was going to fall off. If you have serious swirling I would by a PC, in the long run the cost will payoff. Although, if you`re anything like me, you`ll try to remove the swirls by hand first and be disappointed with the result, until you`re forced to by a PC. But I hope, when that happens, that you remember this thread.

mataku
05-08-2005, 03:42 AM
hm... how come I read so often of people doing it by hand? It`s defintiely not seriously swirled, just light ones that you only see in certain lights.

darn... I guess there`s nothing I can do until i give it a try.

thanks for the info though.

Accumulator
05-08-2005, 09:52 AM
mataku- Wish I could contribute something, but I don`t use either the PB or the Zaino...

I discussed the generalities of polishing by hand on the other thread. IMO the direction doesn`t matter (it sure doesn`t matter when the PC is doing the work, so why would it matter by hand?) so I`d just do what`s comfortable.

IMO "natural" speed/pressure is best because a) you`ll enjoy it more (which almost always leads to better results in the long run) and b) you`re more likely to be consistent (same benefit).

Dusting is when a product, well, turns to dust. It can happen from working it a long time (i.e., "working it to powder"), which I don`t recommend in most cases, or when a product dries and you buff it off (the dried residue is a powder and it doesn`t all get trapped in your towel).

Pick a small area of your Mini and work it by hand until you get it looking the way you want. Don`t start in on the whole car until you get a feel for what you`re doing.

J.J.
05-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Your arm is going to fall off! Like I said in another thread, if you don`t want to buy a PC, pay a detailer to remove the swirls for you. You can then maintain the finnish swirl free through correct washing and waxing. more than likely, you will be unable to breakdown the SSR 2.5 enough to remove swirlies. You can definitely try, but I think you are going to waste product, set your self up for disappointment, and have a soar arm.

But, if you do decide to give it a shot, tape of a 2x2 area of the hood or trunk (a flat spot) and work that area with the 2.5. See if you notice a change. If no change, just find someone to remove the swirls of buy a PC. Don`t do the whole care and then look for change. I realize this is very common sense, but I am always suprised by those who have none!

JJ

mataku
05-08-2005, 12:54 PM
LOL.. thanks for the advice. I defintely know not to attempt to do the whole car w/o first first seeing if i can get some work done on a small area.

Well, chances are I won`t get my materials in time to try it by myself. There`s a wisconsin/illinois detailing meet coming this sunday that I was planning on attending. I was hoping touch up some paint chips at the meet, seeing as I have never touched up paint before, but it seems like I`d be a better idea to try out a PC someone may have, although I`m a bit weary to try it out for the first time on my car and I don`t know if someone has extra pads and such for me to use.

if worse comes to worse, I`ll get a PC. I`ve realized that I could get a complete set for around 170, and since my Bday is the 27th of this month, maybe I`ll ask around. ;)