PDA

View Full Version : So whats better 17" or 18" rims?

Pages : [1] 2

LightngSVT
05-07-2005, 04:57 PM
OK thats a pretty broad question to ask. Let me narrow it down a little bit, Im looking for new rims/tires for my daily driver 98.5 Ford SVT Contour. The car is transportation, not a race car but I would like to track it once or twice. I like the looks of the 18" but think the 17`s might be a better combination of performace, cost, braking, and MPG. Any opinions out there?

splattj
05-07-2005, 05:02 PM
I would go with the 17`s. You`ll be able to get a slightly larger sidewall which will protect the rim from potholes and improve the ride by better absorbing bumps.

Thomas Dekany
05-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by splattj

I would go with the 17`s. You`ll be able to get a slightly larger sidewall which will protect the rim from potholes and improve the ride by better absorbing bumps.

I agree with the above, but I"d never use anything smaller then 18s:D

LouisanaJeeper
05-07-2005, 05:10 PM
17`s would be better for drag racing

there is also a noticable increase in tire pricing for 18`s

btw they are wheels not "rimz"

Mitchubishievo
05-07-2005, 05:13 PM
17`s are usually lighter and will especially help on the track; less rotantional inertia=more speed.

RuffRyder
05-07-2005, 05:27 PM
`nother vote on the 17"s.

lbls1
05-07-2005, 05:43 PM
You will have to compare both sizes and see for yourself. I personally feel that after a certain size, it gets to be too much wheel and not enough car. However, depending on the right balance, some cars look great with bigger rims. I tend to hate anything bigger than 18, but its all in the imagination and the balance of car and wheel...

LightngSVT
05-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks everyone, thats what I was thinking. I was also thinking 18"s may hurt braking a bit since there is more rotational / unsprung weight.

Originally posted by LouisanaJeeper

17`s would be better for drag racing

there is also a noticable increase in tire pricing for 18`s

btw they are wheels not "rimz"

What the heck are you talking about? I cant find anywhere in my post where I said "rimz"? The title does rimS though. What is wrong with that? :rolleyes: And why would i want to drag race a FWD, 200hp sedan when I have an 02 Lightning and a 93 Lightning with a built 396 CID motor in it? :cool:

LouisanaJeeper
05-07-2005, 06:18 PM
well you said "but I would like to track it once or twice."

i did not know if you were referring to a autocross type track or a race/drag strip. so i specified for drag the smaller wheels would be better. for autocross the bigger wheels would probably be better for stiffer sidewalls but would also decrease braking performance as stated above

i realize you did not type rimZ, you posted rimS. people often call them rims because that term is popular in rap etc so i posted rimz for fun

the rim refers to the outer portion of the wheel, the round part. back when the wheels were composed of several pieces, the rim was used to name the outer part of the assembly. wheel is the correct termonology

LightngSVT
05-07-2005, 06:25 PM
So your going to get me on symantics? OK, its all good. I wasnt neccessarily using the term rim as a slang term, just kind of an interchangable term, like Kleenex in "normal" slang.

Yah a Contour is not a drag car, although Ive heard of a few Focus` in the 11`s and one in the 10`s! I was thinking road course or autocross, but if I get lucky enough to score an M3, Im sure that would be the track that car instead and save the trucks for the drag strip.

imported_DetailGirl
05-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by RuffRyder

`nother vote on the 17"s. :xyxthumbs

White95Max
05-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Go with the 17s.

SpoiledMan
05-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Eh, 19`s!! OK, really I`d go with the 18`s as they will be more aesthetically pleasing on that car.

LightngSVT
05-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by SpoiledMan

Eh, 19`s!! OK, really I`d go with the 18`s as they will be more aesthetically pleasing on that car.

Funny thing is that I know of a set of light weight Centerline`s 19"-ers for a good price right now. Ive seen them on the same model car and they look great, but just seems like to much rim for that car. Heck I think 20`s are big enough on trucks.

Accumulator
05-08-2005, 09:07 AM
LightngSVT - Since it sounds like your other vehicles are pretty "serious", I too would go with the 17" wheels. That extra bit of sidewall is nice to have on at least *one* vehicle (I`m assuming the roads in MI are about as bad as the ones in OH ;) ). FWIW, I`m gonna run 60-series tires on *our* beater; it`s nice to not have to worry about damage all the time.

And I agree that anything bigger would look too big on that car. I`m not a fan of the "huge wheel/rubber band tire" look, especially on regular cars.