PDA

View Full Version : Problems with brake dust, rims stained, will not come off HELP!

Pages : [1] 2

imported_DetailGirl
05-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Well here is the scoop. My mom traded in my saturn and bought herself a new Nissan Murano. It return she gave me her 2002 Mitsubushi Eclipse. She has never detailied it, it was a mess we have taken care of everything so far. I have used every tire and rim cleaner out there, used a heavy degreaser, tried clay. Nothing will get off some of the stained on break dust. What else can I try??? I imagine even the finest steel wool will scratch clearcoated rims. I want to try a scotchbrite pad but I am afraid that will scratch as well.

HELP!!!

jimtriz
05-07-2005, 03:51 PM
I`ve had some luck with Eagle One Never Dull. It does take some elbow grease, but it seems to get rid of it. I just did a Volvo Cross Country yesterday with the same problem, after the dust was gone, it had a gold stain on the rim from the dust build up. The Never Dull did a good job of lifting the stain, but it took a lot of rubbing to do it. Good Luck!!

SayNoToPistons
05-07-2005, 05:33 PM
the brake dust stuck on my parents 93 MPV were baked on for at least a 2-3 years! and the wheel had dimples so the brake dust can settle in the dimples which makes matters even worst. ive tried using nylon brushes with eagle one a2z but that didnt work so someone reccomended using scotchbrite pads (yellow sponge with green scubber on the one side) and it worked with A2z! try that, but yeah i would be careful too, i scurb very very gently so i dont scratch anything. have you tried clay? it worked really well on my parents QX4 clearcoated rim with baked clay dust.

imported_themightytimmah
05-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Try Poorboy`s S&R, or some sort of other wheel acid. I use aluminum brightener that I got from a truckstop, and it seems to melt through just about anything. In some cases, if the dust has burned itself into the clear, you are not going to be able to get it 100% perfect without wheel refinishing.

Spilchy
05-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Buy some wheel acid from Automagic or Eagle One.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007L7G3Q/ref=pd_ts_hi_8/103-5471930-8087819?v=glance&s=hi&n=12991471

Dilute it 50/50 with water. Spray on, agitate for no more than 10 seconds, rinse well and follow with car wash soap and water to neutralize any remaining acid.

If you`re trying every wheel cleaner and it ani`t working, its time to bust out the acid.

Wear long sleeves, eye protection and rubber gloves.

imported_perry
05-08-2005, 01:55 AM
Something I`ve wondered is how well a non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner would work.. what kind of damage it could do to the wheels, if any.. maybe a last resort :nixweiss

kempie
05-08-2005, 05:43 AM
I haaad staines that I could not get off untill I used Wheel Wax. I do recomend it.

http://www.properautocare.com/wheelwax.html

tom p.
05-08-2005, 06:01 AM
DetailGirl, in severe cases I have sprayed P21S and let it sit over night. That has worked. You can also break out your basic polishes and go at it...

White95Max
05-08-2005, 06:32 AM
I have yet to be beaten by brake dust when I try P21S. They say the gel is better for heavy brake dust, but the liquid has proven to be very reliable on heavy brake dust.

As seen below, I use P21S with a stiff sponge or a WCD wheel brush (not shown).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/White95Max/P21SandWheel.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/White95Max/WheelAfter.jpg

LightngSVT
05-08-2005, 07:45 AM
What about a Mr Clean Majic eraser and A2Z? Or something Ive used with success in the past is very fine steel wool, but you have to be very careful.

a.k.a. Patrick
05-08-2005, 09:13 AM
3M`s tar and adhesive remover, I have used it successfuly on 2 Porsche Wheels now. I had actually told client #2, that I didnt think it would come off, it was rust stains. Whipped out the 3M and wallah.....!

Lowejackson
05-08-2005, 12:03 PM
I have had success with brake cleaner for the dirtiest of wheels. P21S is also very good as is Sonax. Agitation with a brush really helps

Scottwax
05-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

3M`s tar and adhesive remover, I have used it successfuly on 2 Porsche Wheels now. I had actually told client #2, that I didnt think it would come off, it was rust stains. Whipped out the 3M and wallah.....!

Interesting tip! I`ll have to give it a try next time I run across some really nasty wheels. :)

nuff
05-08-2005, 12:48 PM
I`ve used mother`s clear coat wheel polish with gret sucess on my wheels. It requires a bit of elbow grees, but all the break dust came out. It also supposed to leave protection after you have used it. Since it costs $6 from autogeek I would give that a try.

SilverLexus
05-08-2005, 04:00 PM
I would try this process: A2Z, Clay, P21S polishing soap, P21S Gel wheel cleaner