PDA

View Full Version : ScratchX is equivalent to which Poorboys polish?

Jeff_M
05-07-2005, 01:10 PM
I recently washed, clayed, and polished my 4runner with my new PC and some Poorboys SSR2.5/SSR1. After washing the other day, I noticed that my paint still had a gritty quality to it. I proceeded to reclay (I`ve definitely caught the Autopian perfectionist bug). Well somehow I managed to eff up my freshly polished finish. I thought the streaks on my hood and quarter panels were clay residue, but dammit they are scratches! The appear to be surface marring, and I don`t think they will take much effort to remove. The problem is that I am out of Poorboys and I don`t want to wait (the only non-rainy day in Portland for a while now) to order more. I have a tube of ScratchX. Is this equivalent to the SSR1?

PS - Don`t be an idiot like me. Make sure that when you clay you lube properly and refrain from using too much pressure!

Jeff_M
05-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Sitting here patiently with polish in hand...

atticdog
05-07-2005, 07:17 PM
according to this chart it is between ssr1 and 2

http://www.dano.pocketrubbish.com/detailing/productchart.htm

1 Clean WS6
05-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by atticdog

according to this chart it is between ssr1 and 2

http://www.dano.pocketrubbish.com/detailing/productchart.htm

I disagree. I would place it between 2.5 and 3. Scratch X is a fairly abrasive polish designed specifically for use by hand.

atticdog
05-07-2005, 08:37 PM
that makes sense since it is designed to be used by hand, it probably would be fairly abrasive to remove scratches

MattZ28
05-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Equivalent to no Poorboy`s polish, as it is made specifically for hand use.

Tasty
05-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Which Meguiars polish would be closest to SSR2.5 (#80?) and SSR1 (#83?). I think next time I will try some OTC stuff instead of Poorboys. I like the stuff, but want to see if I like the Meg`s better.

Alfisti
05-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by 1 Clean WS6

I disagree. I would place it between 2.5 and 3. Scratch X is a fairly abrasive polish designed specifically for use by hand.

Spot on. :up

It starts very abrasive but breaks down quickly and leaves a good finish if done properly.

`How to remove defects by hand with ScratchX` by Mike phillips.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1516

Alfisti
05-07-2005, 09:40 PM
SSR2.5 = #83

SSR1 = #82

imported_pdsterns
05-13-2005, 09:12 PM
I talked to a Megs rep on the phone and he told me it was okay to use Scratch X with a pc. I tried with a green sonus pad and it worked very well at removing some fine abrasions on my hood.

JustinR32
05-13-2005, 10:23 PM
If used with the PC, it will gum up the pads. I know, I`ve done it. Not saying that it won`t work, but in general there are better products that do the same thing better when used with the PC.

I`d definitely let someone at Meg`s know that you were told it is OK to use it that way, because it doesn`t work as well with PC as it does by hand, and there are other products that work better with the PC.

Tom

General Lee
05-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Jeff- What year is your 4Runner? I have a 05 and the paint marrs and scratches VERY easily. You really got to baby it to reduce surface marring and scratches. However on a side note, its not as easy to remove them:)

Jeff_M
05-14-2005, 12:08 AM
I pulled the trigger and used some ScratchX on a blue pad. Didn`t quite do the trick, so I switched to a green pad and worked it in until it dusted. That smoothed everything out and set the stage for some Zaino fun! I`d still use Poorboy`s next time, but in a pinch, ScratchX will work on a PC.

Setec Astronomy
05-14-2005, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by General Lee

...the paint marrs and scratches VERY easily. You really got to baby it to reduce surface marring and scratches. However...it`s not as easy to remove them:)

It never is...it never is.