PDA

View Full Version : Guards Red Non-Clear Coat Recommendations

Tom86951
05-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Hello Autopia! This is a great site. I`ve been reading the primers and thought I`d seek confirmation/recommendations on my intended course of action.

I have a 1986 porsche with non-clear coat Guards Red paint.

About a year ago, I had it detailed at a body shop (by machine), to fix oxidization and road grime from a cross-country uncovered transport in the summer.

The body shop guy said the paint is starting to "die" whatever that means, but was able to buff it to a great shine. Now, a year later, parts of the car (hood in particular) are starting to get a bit cloudy/oxidized. I have been trying to clear it up with zymol, but it really just make it cloudy but shiny.

So, based on info from this site, I tried Klasse AIO on a little patch, and it seems to work great. (Some red came up on the towel, so I imagine the oxidization is being removed). So, my plan was to clay bar it first, then go over the whole car with AIO and then top it with a carnuba wax. (Pinnacle couvran if I can find it.) Sound good? I am not ready to try a machine on this car, so it`ll all be by hand.

tpgsr
05-06-2005, 10:37 PM
mmm... I love your car.

Here is a gallery of one that I detailed just last year.

http://www.diamonddetailing.biz/gallery/87Porsche

We used the porter cable to polish it out, and the oxidation quickly faded away, and the true beauty rushed to the surface. If you are doing it by hand, i would recommend getting a good paint cleaner like the meguires premium paint cleaner, and folowing that up with a shot of AIO, then wax it wax it wax it. I would say wax it at LEAST once a month. That will help keep the oxidation from returning. Every other monthyou might think about AIO`ing it again, just to keep that great lustre and depth. Hope this helps

Mike