PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal ?

Pages : [1] 2

Gen2
05-06-2005, 08:56 PM
I have been using this DA polisher, RupesBR65AE, for the past 4 months

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/20681rupesbr65ae.jpg

It has a wattage of 550 and speed 2000(1) - 7000(6) opm. Whenever I set the speed to around 4.5, the polishing pad will not only orbit, it will also start to rotate but very much slower than a rotary. Is this normal ? We do not have PC around here, so don`t really know how the PC works. I wonder the slow rotating motion from the DA polisher can cause swirl marks or should I select a lower speed such that it does not rotate. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

imported_DetailGirl
05-06-2005, 09:30 PM
From the title of your report I expected to see a picture of a rash on your butt, or God forbid elsewhere

Gen2
05-06-2005, 09:45 PM
`Thanks` for your reply, DetailGirl. But seriously, there seems to be some very minor swirl that I can`t get rid of and I suspect could it be the rotating motion of the polishing pad that caused it. So does the PC behave the same way when set to a higher speed ?

JeffM
05-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Doesnt matter. If your pads are old, cheap, or dirty, doesnt matter the tool you use.

I dont know what that poliser is, but the PC is an outstanding tool. Couple the PC with proper polishes, quality pads, and proper education, your car will be the envy of the town :)

imported_Burlyq
05-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Are you sure it rotates with increased speed only or are you pushing a button? I`d check because that machine looks like the expensive Makita BO6040 which rotates as an option.

http://www.autogeek.net/bo6040.html

Gen2
05-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Hi JBM, I very sure the PC is an outstanding tool but the voltage here in our place is 220V. By ordering it over the net plus getting a transform, it will cost quite a bit, so I decide to work with what I can get locally with specification as close to the PC as possible. Btw I am using a new W8006 polishing pad with #80 (sometime with 3M FI II Finishing Material).

Burlyq - there isn`t any selection switch, only an on/off switch and a speed control switch. At speed 3.5 - 4, the machine does not rotate that much but once set at 4.5, the pad will start to rotate unless I apply more pressure to the machine to stop the rotation. So I am pretty curious to know does the pad on PC rotates also when the speed is set to 5 - 6.

The swirl which I mentioned is not obvious at all. If you stand 5 ft away from the car even under bright daylight, you would not be able to see it. It`s only when you go real close and inspect in different angle, than you will see it.

the other pc
05-07-2005, 12:39 AM
It`s normal for the PC to rotate. It`s probably normal for the Rupes also. The rotation may come and go depending on pressure, speed, pad and product selection. This is because the pad is Ãâ‚Å“freeÃâ‚Â to rotate but is not Ãâ‚Å“forcedÃâ‚Â to rotate.

The Makita, Festo and Bosch have settings for Ãâ‚Å“forcedÃâ‚Â rotation. In this setting the action is like that of a rotary polisher, very aggressive.

Are you sure the polisher is making the swirls? Maybe they were there before? The swirls might be caused by technique. Are you working the #80 dry? ItÃâ‚â„s best to stop when it`s still a little wet. Are you holding the pad very flat to the surface? Does it happen with both the #80 and 3M?

PC.

Gen2
05-07-2005, 01:11 AM
Hi PC, you might be right, the swirl could be there before. The car used to have obvious swirl marks due to mishanding by the `professional` detailer. After finding this wonderful wed site and doing plenty of reading, I decided to do it on my own. With the Rupes I managed to remove almost all the swirl marks but like I said, there are these very minor swirl remaining. That`s the reason why I`m trying to get confirmation with the PC users do they have the same rotation effect when set to high speed.

I will work #80 or 3M until it is almost dry where you still can see a very thin layer of product remaining. I will move the DA very slowly, over lapping 50% of the area I work, in a 2` x 2` area. I do hold the pad flat to the surface. Could it be I applied too much pressure on the machine when it is rotating slowly and cause those swirl ?

the other pc
05-08-2005, 01:04 AM
I really donÃâ‚â„t think the rotation causes any problems. For every one of those slow rotations the pad does dozens or even hundreds of orbits. Even if you had sand under your pad the pattern would look like little Ãâ‚Å“squigglesÃâ‚Â rather than big round swirls.

Since the finish had Ãâ‚Å“professionally installed swirlsÃâ‚Â before IÃâ‚â„ll bet theyÃâ‚â„re just old ones that arenÃâ‚â„t completely gone yet.

It doesnÃâ‚â„t sound to me like youÃâ‚â„re using too much pressure. The DA machines arenÃâ‚â„t very aggressive and #80 is pretty mild, it may take a few tries (maybe even a stronger polish) to get the stubborn swirls out.

PC.

Gen2
05-08-2005, 01:42 AM
Presently I have the 3M FI II Finishing Material And 3M PI III RC, do you think these products are good enough to remove the swirl or do you think I need to get the #83 instead ?

teamvegas
05-08-2005, 01:49 AM
Is this the same vehicle I heard about on Megs forum? Just wondering!

Gen2
05-08-2005, 02:00 AM
Hi teamvegas, I`m not too sure what you heard over at Megs forum but yes, I did post some pics over there. Care to share what you heard over there ?

teamvegas
05-08-2005, 02:05 AM
Nothing bad. I just thought I remember you talking about trying to remove the swirls after using a rotary also.

Are you also using a rotary?

Gen2
05-08-2005, 02:14 AM
Yup, most of the drastic swirls are gone using the rotary than follow by the DA polisher to remove the light swirls. But somehow there are still some very minor swirl that doesn`t seem to come off. That`s the `trouble` after seeing all those perfect pictures in this forum, starting to become a "perfectionist". :D :D

teamvegas
05-08-2005, 03:05 AM
I agree! Isnt it frustrating to not get the results you see here?!?!?!?

Do you have any pics you could post here? I seem to have lost the megs thread.