PDA

View Full Version : Glazes

imported_DennisH
05-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Quoted from Autogeek at http://www.autogeek.net/glazes.html

"If youâ€â„¢re in search of paint perfection, donâ€â„¢t forget the glaze. Glazes are usually regarded as optional unless youâ€â„¢re a collector of exotic or vintage cars, but they are well worth the time if youâ€â„¢re a die-hard enthusiast.

A glaze is a shine-enhancing product that goes on after polishing but before the wax or sealant. It is made with oils and wetting agents that amplify your paintâ€â„¢s shine and improve the clarity. Glazes are usually used by auto manufacturers and paint and body shops to prefect freshly painted surfaces before the vehicle is handed over to the consumer. Glazes generally do not have protective qualities, but they may have fillers that hide any slight imperfections in the paint. A glaze is often used by a body shop after compounding to restore the shine and eliminate haze.

A glaze is not a polish or wax. It is strictly a shine-enhancing agent that will produce a dramatic wet look on your paint. On the concours series, a glaze is essential to achieve a winning deep gloss. Most glazes have no protective qualities so always follow with a wax or sealant."

We have never used a glaze before but the comments about "exxential to achieve a winning deep gloss" caught our attention. We are going to strip and polish our Black Street Rod this weekend and get it ready for the show season. Our plans was wash - clay - polish - AIO and Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax - Cyrstal Mist - where would the glaze fit in or what would it replace? Would the glaze improve Souveran depth and wettness? Would a glaze be worth the time and effort? I will be using Souveran but won`t the oils in the glaze prevent sealants from bonding properly?

imported_memnuts
05-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Correct, sealants like Zaino and Klasse will not bond to a glazed finish. Products like UPP, BF, NXT and WG will appear to be less effected by a glaze because of the own oil content.

Using a sealant requires enhanced prepwork is duplicate the created enhanced effects of a glaze.

grt1today
05-06-2005, 12:07 PM
The glaze would go between the AIO & PS... There`s alot of good ones out there right now...

imported_DennisH
05-06-2005, 12:22 PM
The description state "Waxes or Sealents" so I though I would ask.

grt1today

Which glazes would you recommend?

imported_Intermezzo
05-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Mothers Sealer & Glaze, Meguiars #7 & One Grand OG...all equally good. I`m partial to the Mothers glaze though.

I`ve used Mothers S&G topped with Souveran before with excellent results.

05Sleeper
05-06-2005, 12:45 PM
I am going to use RMG today, so I will let you know how it turns out!

grt1today
05-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

Mothers Sealer & Glaze, Meguiars #7 & One Grand OG... In addition to those- VM, RMG, FTG... My current fav out of the 3 is RMG...

57_300SL
05-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Can you use #7 over SG to hide swirl marks?

imported_DennisH
05-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

Mothers Sealer & Glaze, Meguiars #7 & One Grand OG...all equally good. I`m partial to the Mothers glaze though.

I`ve used Mothers S&G topped with Souveran before with excellent results.

We pickup #7 locally and will give a try this week on the Black Ford.

imported_topnotch
05-09-2005, 12:10 PM
I actually just used Menzerna Final touch glaze this weekend followed by NXT paste and it really blew my mind. The shine is killing my eyes though lol.

Accumulator
05-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 57_300SL

Can you use #7 over SG to hide swirl marks?

I wouldn`t try that. The #7 would probably just "float" on top of the KSG, and it`s solvents might compromise the KSG. IMO the only way to hide anything once the KSG is on there is to apply a "heavy" wax that will do a little filling.

Lowejackson
05-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I wouldn`t try that. The #7 would probably just "float" on top of the KSG, and it`s solvents might compromise the KSG. IMO the only way to hide anything once the KSG is on there is to apply a "heavy" wax that will do a little filling.

Blitz :xyxthumbs

usdm
05-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Funny, I floated pass this thread but never really

took the time to read it. Anyway, did some fooling

around with some stuff i had at the house. Non-

scientific in any way, mind you, just curious.

Glazes:

Meg`s #7

Menzerna FTG

FK1 #303

3m IHG

Mother`s Sealer and Glaze

Al bottles were placed upside down for about 2.5

hours to unsettle contents, theneach was applied

to the paper towel.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/748002/000_0787.JPG

Glazes applied to paper towel at approx. 330 am Sun.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/748002/000_0807.JPG

Glazes at 1130 am Sun mornining.

Thickest applying glaze: Fk1

Thinnest applying glaze: 3m

Glaze that held up gloss over longest

period on paper towel: Menzerna

Glaze retaining most of its non liquid content,

or, which left the most fillers behind:

tie between FK1 and Megs.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/748002/000_0833.JPG

Approx. 3pm today, i checked the samples again.

The only sample that retained the most moisture

at the approx 2 day mark is the Menzerna

JeffM
05-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Hmm, show car. I would try Red moose, 3x EX, and Soverign or Clearkote CMW 10x.