PDA

View Full Version : My first lineup

Pages : [1] 2

imported_StudyBuddy
05-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Alright, I`m fairly new to detailing. I`m purchasing my products today and I`ve decided to go with:

Porter Cable 7424

Exceldetail.com pad/plate kit with extra pads

Poorboys SSR 1, 2 & 2.5

Zaino Z2

Zaino Z5

Can anyone suggest any better products to use? I really like the Zaino stuff and I already have it. The Poorboys and the pads are what I`ll be ordering today.

*Edit* I have a black 350z with the swirls you would expect from a car that`s been put through a carwash a few times in it`s life. No, not while I`ve had it. I bought it used! :( Thanks for the help guys!

imported_StudyBuddy
05-06-2005, 10:04 AM
:buffing: :help:

drewski59
05-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Don`t forget the ZFX or Z1 to go with your Zaino products. They won`t bond properly without one of those underneath!

I haven`t used any PB products yet, so I can`t be of much help there.

Also, get Zaino Z6 or Z8, you`ll need those to QD in between layers of Z.

Otherwise, your lineup looks very decent. Let us know how it all turns out!

:wavey

imported_StudyBuddy
05-06-2005, 10:15 AM
I`ll definitely be using ZFX and Z6 in there. I want the new Z8, but I`ll have to wait until I run out of Z6 first...I figured those were a given though :)

The PB products are really what I`m most curious about. I just want to make sure I don`t need to buy anything else so I can save on shipping.

TGates
05-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by StudyBuddy

I`ll definitely be using ZFX and Z6 in there. I want the new Z8, but I`ll have to wait until I run out of Z6 first...I figured those were a given though :)

The PB products are really what I`m most curious about. I just want to make sure I don`t need to buy anything else so I can save on shipping.

Actually, Z8 isn`t really marketed as a replacement for Z6. Z6 is still a staple in the Zaino procedure (for use between layers, general QDing, etc) and Z8 is for the ultimate LSP after you have established the layers and shine you want with the polishes. It`s intended to be used for "special occasions" where you want a little extra pop or protection (road trips, etc.)

Of course, if money is no object, I suppose you could just use Z8 all the time.

Also, you could probably skip the SSR2 as SSR2.5 and SSR1 will manage just about anything you should encounter on your Z. Just my opinion :xyxthumbs

imported_StudyBuddy
05-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks! I was hoping not to have to buy all those products! I may buy SSR2 just in case, but I`m glad you said that!

Thanks for the advice!

imported_StudyBuddy
05-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Does the system sound complete to you guys? Am I leaving any products out?

JeffM
05-06-2005, 04:13 PM
MF towels?

Tire dressing?

Interior?

Wheel cleaner?

imported_StudyBuddy
05-06-2005, 04:26 PM
I don`t have a wheel cleaner. My wheels are currently waxed with NXT. Nothing special though. I do have some stains on them that I need to get out though.

Always with the MF towels, and I use Poorboys tire shine.

I don`t have anything for the interior yet. I`m reading up on things. I really don`t like things shiney in the interior and the materials used in the Z don`t make it possible to use anything on most of the interior pannels.

drewski59
05-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Well, for the interior I`ve tried almost everything. The one product I always go back to is Meguiars #40.;)

It leaves the perfect "new car" sheen to the vinyl for me. It`s not very shiny, especially if you wipe it off after a few minutes like I do. Also, I get comments all the time about how good it smells:)

It also doesn`t do a bad job of removing any existing buildup from previous applications. And I trust it because it has a sunscreen built-in(fading is my major fear with interiors).

I recommend Eagle One A2Z on the wheels and tires. Does the best job of any OTC product I`ve used, and it ranked first in the Guru Reports test of wheel cleaners.

Hope this helps!:wavey

J.J.
05-06-2005, 05:34 PM
I would not get the SSR 2. It would most likely be a waste of money. SSR 2.5 is great and most of the time you don`t even need the 1 after, but just in case buy the SSR 1. Save the money and skip the 2!

JJ

teamvegas
05-06-2005, 05:50 PM
I agree with JJ. SSR 2 would be a waste if you get the 1. A lot of times I even go right to an LSP after 2.5 depending on the hardness or softness of the paint.

imported_StudyBuddy
05-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the product advice on the interior! I`ll definitely be looking into some #40.

I skipped both the SSR2 and the SSR2.5. If I need them, I`ll place another order, but I think the SSR1 should get rid of my swirls for me. After all, my car is only about 2 years old.

Thanks guys!

J.J.
05-07-2005, 03:40 PM
SSR 1 probably won`t get rid of your swirls unless they are almost non existant. If you have yet to order, go ahead and get the 2.5 and 1. Save on shipping, that`s where they get you!

JJ

imported_StudyBuddy
05-07-2005, 05:45 PM
I`ve already placed my order, but exceldetail is apparently good about not ripping people off on shipping. I may order some 2.5 then. Thanks!