PDA

View Full Version : My first detail planned for this weekend... Would appreciate your insight.

sillystanger
05-05-2005, 06:53 PM
I`ve been reading this forum for about a month or so in preperation to do my first detail which I`m planning to do this weekend. Having never done anything more than wash a car to date, there has been a steep learning curve for me. I thought I`d post my projected process and ask the learned masses here for any thoughts on potential mis-steps I may headed towards or recommendations for improvement. As you`d imagine this is the first time I`ll be touching any of these products (which I ordered after researching here). I thought I`d keep things as simple as possible and do my first detail on my new Mustang which is a couple weeks old and doesn`t require any polishing at this time. I`ve got an older, neglected Neon with paint that will need polishing and cleaning, but right now the only abrasive product I`m dealing with is the clay as far as I know. The color of the Mustang is "legend lime" or a pale metallic green as I think of it (I`ll post some pics of the victim).

Here`s what I plan on doing (using DF Concours MF towels and hand buffing unless otherwise noted):

Exterior

======

Dawn wash

Clay with Zaino clay and diluted Zaino car wash as lub

Wash wheels with P21S gel and OXO wheel brush (not sure if this right point at which to be doing the wheels)

Wash with Zaino car wash

One coat of Z6 as last step of preperation

One coat of Z5/Z8

Two coats of Z2/Z8

Plastic trim pieces clean with 303 Aerospace protectant

Lenses clean with Plexus and Sonus Ultimate MF

Windows clean with IG and Sonus Ultimate MF (think I should probably get a window specific MF in future)

Apply Zaino tire dressing (still need to get a sponge for application)

Interior

=====

Plastic trim and seals cleaned with 303

Windows clean with IG and Sonus Ultimate MF (think I should probably get a window specific MF)

Some general noob questions. I`ll be using the Zaino supplied applicators to apply my polish. Are those applicators reusable or should I discard them after doing this job? Do I treat the clearcoat on the wheels exactly the same as the clearcoat on the car with regards to applying the polish? I`m wondering how the bodyside tape should affect my process... not sure if I should be claying over it?? I plan to apply the zaino polishes over top it but am not sure about the clay. Also, do you apply anything to the decals? I`m thinking about just hitting the decals with the Plexus.

Thanks for any of your thoughts on this... btw. this forum ROCKS!!! The members here have made this the best forum that I`ve ever come across for any subject matter... people here seem incredibly knowledgeable, helpful, and patient... I`m impressed! :xyxthumbs

imported_Sullybob
05-05-2005, 09:50 PM
:welcome sillystanger

Great first post. I looks like you have been doing a lot of reading.

I don`t know a whole lot about the Zaino line. I just (yesterday) received my first box from Zaino. I will try and help you the best I can.

If you are washing with the Zaino car wash I think you can skip the dawn wash. My understanding of Zaino car wash is that it preps the surface by removing all oils and any fillers that would inhibit the Zaino from bonding. I am unsure if the Zaino wash will remove any old wax.

How many layers are you planning on doing in one day? Do you have any ZFX? My understanding on Z8 is that it is a spray sealant, Z6 is a QD. I think that the Z8 should be your LSP. From what I have read it continues to cure and cross link for 24-48 hours.

You can re-use your applicators. I wash mine in the washing machine.

I would seal your clear coated wheels with your Zaino. I currently have AIO and SG on mine it makes clean up so much easier.

Hope that this has helped.

sillystanger
05-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks Shawn (Sullybob) for the info and the welcome. I plan on doing 3 layers (Z5, Z2, Z2) in a 24 hour period which I believe should be ok if I use the ZFX which I plan to. I`ve read the Zaino instructions front-to-back several times and plan on observing his instructions to the letter. My impression of the Z8 was that it was simply a higher quality (higher gloss) version of the Z6QD and that you could essentially interchange the two. I plan on using the Z8 during the full blown strip-down details during the layering process and using the Z6 just for QDing in between.

The one thing that I still feel totally clueless about is the bodyside tape. I`m thinking that I shouldn`t clay it and only apply the Zaino to it since the tape seems to be sitting on top of the clearcoat. Of course, it`s not a solid piece of tape as small sections of the paint aren`t covered. Wonder if I should try to work the clay into those sections. I`m almost regretting opting for the tape right now. I should probably do a specific thread on this question.

imported_Denzil
05-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Just quickly skimming through your post, I believe 303 Aerospace Protectant is meant to protect your plastic trim pieces rather than clean them. Just a thought. :nixweiss

Mochamanz1
05-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Welcome to Autopia ! :xyxthumbs

IMO, you should use the ZFX regardless of how many coats you are planning to do. The ZFX helps the bonding process. But I will tell you one thing.... get ready for a shock ! Z8 isnt like anything you have used before ! It is different than Z6, I tried something that works with Z6 (using Z6 to get all the Z2Pro out of the bottle) but it didnt work with Z8. They are chemically somewhat different.....(compatable, but different) Z6 will mix with zZPro, but Z8 will not mix with the Z2Pro. It actually does increase in quality Reflectivity and slickness for 2 days after you apply it !

Instead of Z6, I am alternating between Z2pro and Z8. I think this will really add to the quality of the reflectivity and depth. I do not believe it can hurt !

I tried one thing that I didnt see written about applying Z8. ( I might have missed it though) I used a MF applicator to apply the Z8 and it went on very, very thin. I used about 1 ounce max for a mid-sized car ! I bought a mini spray bottle (2 Oz) from the cosmetic area in a drug store. This bottle dispenses a very light mist to the mf applicator. I am amazed at how little Z8 is needed to really rock !:bounce

The applicators can be reused. :xyxthumbs