PDA

View Full Version : Best product brand for compound/polish/glaze steps with the PC

erockoneskee
05-04-2005, 02:34 AM
What`s up people? I`ve been hovering around these boards a while now trying to do as much research as possible before first posting. I`m planning on purchasing a PC from Lowe`s along with some LC foam pads from properautocare soon and was just wondering what brands of product are most trusted and effective when it comes to the three steps of compunding, polshing, and glazing.

I plan on doing swirl mark and minor sratch removal on a black 2005 Infiniti G35c.

I`ve heard good things about Menzerna? What brands do you guys hold highest? I am using Zaino as my paint sealant/wax.

Thanks

imported_CBX Carl
05-04-2005, 05:49 AM
Hot Potato,Hot Potato,Hot Potato.......

I use the Megs products for prep of the surface.

#83 DACP x PC

#82 SFP x PC

Meg`s Pads as well for the PC

Then the Klasse

AIO X PC

SG X Hand

Then as the topper

S100 X Hand

C. Charles Hahn
05-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Lost Pup

Hot Potato,Hot Potato,Hot Potato.......

I use the Megs products for prep of the surface.

#83 DACP x PC

#82 SFP x PC

Meg`s Pads as well for the PC

Then the Klasse

AIO X PC

SG X Hand

Then as the topper

S100 X Hand

bingo. Though I personally would go for #80 instead of #82 after DACP.

Tanat198
05-04-2005, 08:07 AM
If the swirls are heavy, i`d go for #83. If not, i prefer 1ZPP. It`s so easy to work with and stays wet longer so you can keep moving around without inducing swirls. Then top with NXT and P21S.

SilverLexus
05-04-2005, 08:16 AM
I`m a big fan of Poorboys SSR line. The Sonus SFX system works well also.

imported_CBX Carl
05-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

bingo. Though I personally would go for #80 instead of #82 after DACP.

I was just avoiding the fillers in #80 before the Klasse.

termigator
05-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Menzerna is my favorite. If you`re going to get your stuff from Classic Motoring, you should go ahead and get Menzerna`s IP, FP II and, if you insist on using a glaze, Menzerna FTG. I have 3M products too, but I like Menzerna better. It`s all I use on my black Acura TL-S:xyxthumbs

Accumulator
05-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by erockoneskee

I plan on doing swirl mark and minor sratch removal on a black 2005 Infiniti G35c.

I`ve heard good things about Menzerna? What brands do you guys hold highest? I am using Zaino as my paint sealant/wax.

IIRC some people are having issues with micromarring on Infiniti paint, but the Menzerna FPII with a very soft pad should give you a good final polish (no pun intended :o ).

FWIW, I like 3M (PI-III RC and MG, pns 05933 and 05937) for most of my polishing, and you could use the FPII afterwards for a final buff.

Since you`re using Zaino, I`d avoid products that would require an alcohol wipe, and I don`t *think* the Menzerna stuff would require that. For the same reason, I dunno about using a glaze since the Zaino generally bonds best to "bare" paint. But then I`m not a Zaino user so you might oughta solicit advice from somebody who uses it.

And Welcome To Autopia!

jetskie
05-04-2005, 01:12 PM
I also agree that you should avoid fillers since you are using Ziano. Ziano is pretty finiky with bonding to polishes with fillers like #80. I would use either Menzerna or Poorboys as they advertise no fillers.

erockoneskee
05-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the responses guys... a lot of helpful info.

So if Zaino will have problems using alcohol solutions to wipe off the compounding polish, could i use Z6 to wipe it off? I think Z6 is supposed to be a quick detailer right?

Accumulator
05-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Sorry, I must`ve been unclear (that`s what I get for discussing products I don`t use :o ).

There won`t be any real problem using alcohol/water mix, it`s just that it can be disconcerting to see some marring "come back". IMO there`s no point in using products containing "fillers" if you`re gonna clean the fillers off anyhow. Plenty of filler-free products to choose from instead (such as the Menzerna).

erockoneskee
05-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Sorry, I must`ve been unclear (that`s what I get for discussing products I don`t use :o ).

There won`t be any real problem using alcohol/water mix, it`s just that it can be disconcerting to see some marring "come back".

Ok, so I won`t be using any glazes or anything containg fillers before putting Zaino on, but what do you mean by seeing marring "come back" ? I thought the purpose of the alcohol/water mix was so you could wipe off the residue with greater ease and see if the swirl marks were truly eliminated? I will probably be purchasing either Poorboys or Menzerna products for my compounding/polishing process prior to applying Zaino.

Will the alcohol/water mix make it any more difficult for Zaino to be applied? Should I use a quick detailer spray instead for residue removal? (Is Z6 a quick detailer?)

Sorry for these newb questions, this is the first nice car I`ve ever owned and the first time I have been actually interested in detailing. Thanks again!

Accumulator
05-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by erockoneskee

Ok, so I won`t be using any glazes or anything containg fillers before putting Zaino on, but what do you mean by seeing marring "come back" ? I thought the purpose of the alcohol/water mix was so you could wipe off the residue with greater ease and see if the swirl marks were truly eliminated?

Heh heh, this just isn`t my thread for making myself easily understood :o I believe we`re saying the same things, but we`re expressing ourselves differently.

When you use the alcohol wipe to see if marring was eliminated, you remove any oils and fillers. This allows you to see the paint`s true condition. Marring that was hidden by the oils/fillers will "come back" in the sense that it will be visible once again after the oils/fillers have been removed by the alcohol wipe.

The improved ease-of-removal is merely an additional benefit. I myself prefer to use Meg`s #34 to aid in removal as it seems to provide better lubrication than the alochol/water mix, lessening the chance of inducing new marring.

Will the alcohol/water mix make it any more difficult for Zaino to be applied? Should I use a quick detailer spray instead for residue removal? (Is Z6 a quick detailer?)

No, the alcohol/water mix won`t make the Zaino application any harder. I`d better not guess about the Z6 as I haven`t used it.

Glossmaster
05-04-2005, 11:54 PM
Z6 is the quick detailing spray for Zaino.

erockoneskee
05-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Alright cool. Thanks for everyone`s help, once i get all my products and equipment and go through the process I`ll post results.