PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washers- looking for 1gpm advice

teamgomez
05-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Howdy all-

I`m looking for some deckplate opinions here from those of you using low volume electric pressure washers.

I currently use a Husky 1750 that has recently fouled a pressure switch so now it runs continuously regardless of trigger (it`s also noisy, and the hose from wand to unit is very inflexible).

I use a deionized water system, so the least flow w/ adequate pressure is desired. I used a B&D 1500 last weekend at a friends house and thought it worked VERY WELL. I don`t need to peel paint, and the pressure was quite sufficient. At 1gpm, this will give me 33 more minutes of "Trigger time" on one set of DI filters when compared to my 1.5gpm Husky.

I`ve seen some positive comments on the Karchers...but they`ll sacrifice .3gpm (they`re rated at 1.3gpm).

Any comments out there on goods/others for the B&D, Karcher, or other brand I am unaware of???

Thanks all!

~John

Ron Harris
05-03-2005, 09:52 PM
All I can say is if you keep buying that cheep crap your going to keep buying more cheep crap to replace it.

Look into a good commercial grade electric unit. It will outlast 10 of the cheep ones.

Maknmony
05-03-2005, 10:28 PM
I purchased a Campbell Hausfield 1750psi electric pressure washer and to be totally honest with you, the electric pressure washers are all junk. I used a Karcher 1300psi at home and same. I have great water pressure at home and this pressure washer seems to be less then what comes out of the ground. I used a friends gas powered unit and WOW what a difference. I`m going to be looking for a gas powered unit.

Good luck,

Sellncars

Mark Waldron
05-04-2005, 09:23 AM
John,

I would also suggest a gas powered unit that has variable speed so the output can be adjusted. I owned a BlackCat Electric PW and it was junk. I then bought a Husky 1750 psi PW, and that too was junk. I finally bought a Karcher 2500 psi unit and it works like a charm. When I need to reduce the total output of water, I`ll move the switch to the half power setting, which will provide me with about 1.2 gpm compared to 2.4 gpm at full throttle. Hope this helps.

Mark Waldron

rollman
06-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Dent`s & Details

All I can say is if you keep buying that cheep crap your going to keep buying more cheep crap to replace it.

Look into a good commercial grade electric unit. It will outlast 10 of the cheep ones.

Ron

Drop some name brands I looking for a new unit . TIA

Jerry

MorBid
06-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Well I have had my Karcher 3.97 M 1600 PSI (1.6 GPM) since last winter and have used it every week and it works fine.

I looked at the gas power ones at Sears, Northern Tools but

since I don`t own a home I have no other use for a PW than what I brought it for, washing my car (which doesn`t require all that much pressure in the first place.

I also didn`t want the hassle of transporting/storing gas for the engines on the gas powered ones

I recently started using DI-Water from a local supplier and the tanks work great with this PW.

the other pc
06-02-2005, 04:45 PM
TOL (http://www.topoftheline.com/pressure-washer-portable.html) sells a unit by Cam Spray (http://www.camspray.com/). Sounds rugged but I don`t think it will run a standard 120VAC, 15A cricuit. They do make a smaller model though.

Porter-Cable (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000648AL/qid=1117755883/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-tools/103-4425872-2550231?v=glance&s=hi&n=228013) also makes a pressure washer.

PC.

brwill2005
06-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Just ordered the Cam Spray. Did not realize until after I placed the order that the motor draws nearly 20amps! Luckily the washer and dryer are right off the garage, so I can run it off the 20A or 30A for the dryer. I will let you guys know how it works.

Spilchy
06-02-2005, 05:46 PM
I just wish the smaller sized gas powered ones could fit in my car so I could take it to details :(

I may bite the bullet and try my luck with an electrical one.

Here is a little gas guy from Sears (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07175201000&tab=spe#tablink)

imported_themightytimmah
06-02-2005, 09:08 PM
I`ve got a little electric one, it works fairly well, but I guarantee it will not last. Hopefully, I`m gonna pick up a truck and trailer later this year, and then I`ll be able to lug a gas one around. Plus, every time I look at that wire when I`m soaked, all I can think of is Delacroix from "The Green Mile".

chml17l
06-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by themightytimmah

I`ve got a little electric one, it works fairly well, but I guarantee it will not last. Hopefully, I`m gonna pick up a truck and trailer later this year, and then I`ll be able to lug a gas one around. Plus, every time I look at that wire when I`m soaked, all I can think of is Delacroix from "The Green Mile".

I would always recommend using a GFI (ground fault interruptor) whenever using any outdoor eletrical power equipment. You can find plug-in models that accept 3 prong grounded cords at Home Depot, etc. It is a small cost to pay if you accidentally get an abraided power cord and it comes into contact with water or metal to prevent themightytimmah`s scenario above.

The Big Kahuna
06-06-2005, 05:12 PM
I`m looking at the "Black & Decker PW1500 1500 PSI Electric Pressure Washer" which is available on amazon. I`m in the same situation. I have a DI system also and want to increse my trigger time. The B&D is the only one I could find with a 1GPM flow.