PDA

View Full Version : What is the scoop on Quick Detailers?

GrayFox
05-03-2005, 07:57 PM
What exactly are quick detailers, how to they work and what

do they actually do?

I always thought that easy on also meant easy off...

I recently bought an 05 Acura and applied a couple of

coats of NXT wax.

About a couple of weeks after the wax I tried the NXT

speed detailer and was fairly pleased with the results.

Jerry

MS22
05-03-2005, 08:02 PM
QDs are used after washing a properly prepped and waxed/sealed finish. They primarily bring back the shine for a "just spent all day detailing your car" look. By themselves they are pretty useless as you will not have the same protection you would get with a paste wax or sealant. Some do leave behind a very small amount of protection but nothing too much. My favorites would be Pinnacle Crystal Mist for QDing a waxed finish and Wolfgang/4* for a sealant.

White95Max
05-03-2005, 08:04 PM
A quick detailer (QD) is a spray that usually contains ingredients that make the finish smoother, and also contain gloss enhancers. You spray the QD on the paint or on a MF towel, and wipe it over the paint. Then wipe it off.

Some QDs contain carnauba as well, and will offer some light protective qualities.

Most QD sprays have light cleaners that are able to clean light dust off of a car`s finish. I personally don`t use them unless the car has been washed within a day.

imported_Burlyq
05-03-2005, 08:04 PM
QD`s have many functions, Claying, removing fingerprints and other smudges, helping with polish residue, gloss enhancement, and adding protection. I think the QD`s are getting better and better, Z8 comes to mind for me personally, it adds protection and nothing sticks to the surface and is incredibly easy off. However, there are oldy formulas that are dirt cheap that still do the job like CM clay lube, something I buy by the case.

wannafbody
05-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Z8 isn`t a QD its a spray sealant-IMO 2 different products

Mochamanz1
05-03-2005, 08:59 PM
I have used Z8 as a QD and it rocks, but I prefer Z6 mainly due to price considerations. I have used Z8 on dust and it works, Z8 is a very robust product, however, it is just more cost effective to use the Z6. Z6 is optically geared to Zaino system products and will not degrade the Z8 treated appearance.

Back to the main question though, I use a QD mainly to remove smudges, fresh bird droppings, sort of like a mini car wash, anything that requres less than a wash. You can also use a QD to boost the appearance of your car. QD`s are a utility item, indispensible when you want your car to be always at its best appearance.

It is a personal preference whether or not to use a QD. In the dusty summer days, a California duster or a QD might be your choice, depending on what you feel comfortable with. No rules there :xyxthumbs

wannafbody
05-03-2005, 09:18 PM
good post-a Spray Sealant can do the job of a QD but chemically they are different-most QD`s offer very little in the way of actual protection

Eliot Ness
05-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by wannafbody

..........a Spray Sealant can do the job of a QD but chemically they are different.........

Not really...... most spray sealants need to be used on a clean finish, where a QD can be used to do *minor* cleaning. Some, like S&W, can do a bit more cleaning than others.

Mochamanz1
05-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by wannafbody

good post-a Spray Sealant can do the job of a QD but chemically they are different-most QD`s offer very little in the way of actual protection

Absolutely. :bow The Spray sealants can mechanically lubricate the surface to remove debris and dust, but contain protective materials whereas the QD`s dont. Good point!:xyxthumbs

imported_Burlyq
05-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by mochamanz

I have used Z8 as a QD and it rocks, but I prefer Z6 mainly due to price considerations.

yeah, if you dilute Z6 it`s about one of the cheapest out there and it works very well with the Zaino system. I`m not sure if you can dilute Z8 or not, but it is an exellent QD. I think it`s a QD/Spray sealant. You can definetly use it as a QD, with the bonus of having protection and a slick surface left behind. I wouldn`t use any QD to wash a car, they should only be used for light dust and smudges, anything more and you need to break out the wash. Don`t mean to split hairs but many QD`s leave protection, heres a list.

http://autopia.org/review/censura.php?cmd=browse&category_id=21

Mochamanz1
05-04-2005, 02:20 AM
Thank you for the clarification, so these QD`s listed leave a protective coating? I was under the impression that they were glossers.

imported_Burlyq
05-04-2005, 02:47 AM
Some of them do Mocha, and some of them don`t.

J.J.
05-04-2005, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by Burlyq However, there are oldy formulas that are dirt cheap that still do the job like CM clay lube, something I buy by the case.

I didn`t know the Clay Magic Clay lube could be used as a QD. Just as a cleaner right? It doesn`t really add anything to the shine, right?

Huh, Autopia, learn sumfin` new everday`

JJ