PDA

View Full Version : SSR 2.5 and which propel pad?

ProStreetCamaro
05-03-2005, 02:59 PM
I just got my SSR 2.5 and a small bottle of Klasse to try out. I have 2 blue propel pads and the grey/black pad. Will the blue pad work ok or should I order another pad or two? Also do you guys apply the klasse with your PC and if so which pad seems to work best?

I want to get the majority of spider webs out of the hood of my 99 navy blue metallic SS camaro. SLP must have used a mighty hard paint on the hood and spoiler because 3M SMR had no problem getting them out of the rest of the car but never even phased the hood and spolier!!!!! Anybody else with a SLP car notice this or am I just crazy?

imported_guapsnaman
05-03-2005, 03:15 PM
If you`re going to want to get rid of the swirls, you might want to first try 2.5 with a green propel, a blue may not be enough. If the green doesn`t work after the 2nd or 3rd pass, you may need to be using an orange pad. If marring appears, then you can use SSR 1 with either a blue or green propel, I usually go with blue though.

As with AIO application. I Have tried both PC and hand and perfer hand. Although it may take longer, I find myself applying it more evenly and thinner. If you want to use the PC go with the grey fininshing pad..

Scottwax
05-03-2005, 04:15 PM
I find the yellow Propel pad or Meguiars polishing pad works best with SSR2.5.

White95Max
05-03-2005, 05:20 PM
I typically use SSR2.5 with a green pad, although I`ve used it with a yellow pad several times as well.

Prometheus
05-03-2005, 06:40 PM
I have used 2.5 with propel green, orange, and yellow. I found the green works well, but for marring that is very bad I usually do one pass with the green, and if it doesnt show a pretty substantial improvement, I step up to the orange. I have only used the yellow 2 times I think, and that was on a spot that was repainted (quite poorly at that) and I needed to even it out some. I wouldn`t recommend a yellow pad for regular use. Start off with green, step up to orange if need be. Hope this helps

Tasty
05-03-2005, 07:39 PM
When you`re talking Propel pads, the Orange is more aggressive than the yellow, not the other way around. I am currently using yellow Propel pad with SSR2.5 on my truck, and wish I had the orange pad or some SSR3.

atticdog
05-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Propel Grey Finishing Pad: For the use of LSP`s and the thinnest of products only, no cutting ability.

Propel Blue Polishing Pad: The difference between the blue and grey is that its built with a slightly stiffer foam for use of slightly thicker products such as an AIO. The pores are also slightly larger which gives a little more bite than the grey. The Propel Blue Pads are great for products that have cleaners in it or using for your first application of your LSP and glazes. It has extremely little cutting ability and has the least amount of cutting ability when comparing to all other Propel pads. In terms of comparison, the Megs Yellow pad is a step up from the Propel Blue Polishing, but below the Propel Green Pad.

Propel Green Light Cutting Pad: A more typical polish pad a lot like the Megs Yellow (8006), Lake Country White, or the Green Sonus DAS pads. It is the pad you would usually use as your "go to" pad. Most surface repairs will use this pad and can be used with products such as Meg`s DACP & #80, 3M RC & MG, SSR 2.5 & 1. Can also be used with a rotary.

Propel Orange Versitile Pad: A different pad altogether, and takes some getting use to. Great for increasing cutting without the risk of much hazing as compared to that of the Lake Country Yellow. Products, speeds, and applied pressures can yield many favorable results. Great for use with a rotary.

Propel Yellow Medium Cutting Pad: Most aggresive Propel Pad available. Use when additional cutting action is desired. Usually used on heavier swirls or tasks requiring larger scale repairs.

White95Max
05-03-2005, 08:48 PM
There is an error in your above post AtticDog. The ORANGE pad is the MOST aggressive, not yellow.

The foam in the orange pads is denser than the yellow.

atticdog
05-03-2005, 08:52 PM
sorry you are right

Prometheus
05-03-2005, 09:02 PM
I dont think the denser foam makes the pad more agressive though. In my experience, the yellow pad has been much more agressive. The foam has larger pores and is coarser than the orange pad. I dont think one is actually more agressive than the other, just that the orange leaves behind less marring.:nixweiss

White95Max
05-03-2005, 09:05 PM
The orange pad IS more aggressive. The ExcelDetail website and Patrick have confirmed this before. The yellow pad may remove swirls quicker due to the better conformity of the yellow foam to the surface. But the foam in the orange pad is in fact a more aggressive foam.

From the Excel website:

"Propel Orange Aggressive Pad Aggressive level 4 (0-5)

The Propel Orange pad has finally arrived! A great all-in-one type of pad - helps removes swirls, light stains, even water spotting. Follow up with our Propel Green and you definitely have a winning combination. Use that duo for your more complicated jobs, or add a Propel Yellow for a super power trio! Orange is our most aggressive pad."

Eliot Ness
05-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by White95Max

There is an error in your above post AtticDog. The ORANGE pad is the MOST aggressive, not yellow.

The foam in the orange pads is denser than the yellow.

I know Patrick has changed his pad descriptions to show the orange as the most aggressive, but I still maintain it is a step below a yellow cutting pad. The foam is the same density as the Sonus DAS orange and LC orange pads, and while it feels denser than a yellow cutting pad, it works w/o leaving as much hazing/marring:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspad-or.html

http://www.properautocare.com/coprorpopa.html

It appears that it`s the density of the foam that gives it "the cutting power of a compounding foam and the gloss enhancing characteristics of a polishing foam."

Anyway, FWIW, that`s been my experience with the orange/yellow pads.

imported_Denzil
05-03-2005, 09:49 PM
If you let the orange Propel soak overnight to loosen it up, it will still have the denser foam and will conform to surfaces just like the yellow Propel. Try it. You will most likely find out that the orange Propel IS the most aggresive pad.

White95Max
05-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Yes. Patrick recommended that idea to me. I haven`t tried it yet, but I am confident that it will work.

Scottwax
05-03-2005, 10:35 PM
I didn`t have any hazing problems with SSR2.5 and a yellow Propel pad. It may depend on the hardness of the paint whether or not you will get marring.