PDA

View Full Version : Confused over "metal polishes"...

imported_MCA
05-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Hey folks,

As the title says, I am pretty confused concerning metal polishes. There are so many types/brands out there that I get lost regarding how they actually work and what brands to consider. I have searched through quite a bit of threads but I am still fairly stumped. My questions are as follows:

1) How do they "work"? --> Do they chemically clean or are they physically abrasive?

2) A lot of brands have multiple product codes for "metal polishes"...For example, Mothers has 4 different products dedicated for metal detailing...What exactly are the differences?

3) Lastly, I have a Mazda6 with what I *believe* is a chrome gas cover and chrome-tipped exhaust pipes. They are in great shape and I am looking for a product that will maintain this look.

Sorry for the long post, but I greatly appreciate any tips or information. Thanks in advance.

MCA

MS22
05-02-2005, 09:08 PM
There are both mechanical and chemical cleaners. On the recommendations of another member I gave English Custom Polishes a try recently and all I can say is WOW! Even if the prices are a bit high the site has some good info to ready about. Also I still love the Adams metal polishes, they work great and are probably more along the lines of what you are looking for.

http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/

http://www.adamspolishes.com

Alfisti
05-03-2005, 04:23 AM
MCA, like paint polishes metal polishes can come in different grades of abrasiveness and chemical cleaners, dependant on the hardness of the metal being targeted.

Polish for chrome would require more aggressive abrasives than for aluminium.

Also some metal polishes lay down polymer protection, some don`t. That why Mothers and others have several types for metal polishing.

I hope this helps.

SVR
05-03-2005, 05:30 AM
Just got in the p21s polish soap, will be interesting testing this product.

jasonmac
05-03-2005, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by SVR

Just got in the p21s polish soap, will be interesting testing this product.

I have some too, I plan on using it soon. I`ll try to remember taking pics of how the underbody turns out.

imported_MCA
05-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have got one last question, after I have used a metal polish to *restore* the metal, could I use a paint sealant/wax for added protection (EX-P, Zaino, #16, etc.)?

MCA

Alfisti
05-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Yes you can, but unnecessary if you use Megs NXT Metal Polysh, Mothers Chrome Polish or the new ClearKote Metal polish as they all apply polymer protection. Some others may as well.

However, it wouldn`t hurt to add more, just not necessary.

X-Trail
05-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Tried P21S polishing soap. They work really good.

imported_Burlyq
05-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Great metal polishing products, Mothers Mag or Billet polish, and my little metal cleaner secret-Zaino glass cleaner if the metal is in bad shape this product works great. I think they all have abrasives in them, but they don`t scratch.

03BlackGTP
05-04-2005, 01:49 AM
I have stainless tips, so what would be good...Adams Metal Polishes or English Custom Polishes??? I was looking at Showmans Ultra Fine Polish from ECP but I also was looking at Metal Polish #1 & 2 Combo from Adams. HELP!!!!!:shocked

Andrewc-c
10-04-2005, 06:03 PM
I`m also in need of a metal polish for my exhaust tips, but theres just so many different ones I`m not sure wish will work. I was looking at the Eagle one never dull. Anyone have any comments about this or what one to use?

imported_Totoland Mach
10-04-2005, 06:12 PM
MCA, like paint polishes metal polishes can come in different grades of abrasiveness and chemical cleaners, dependant on the hardness of the metal being targeted.

Polish for chrome would require more aggressive abrasives than for aluminium.

Also some metal polishes lay down polymer protection, some don`t. That why Mothers and others have several types for metal polishing.

I hope this helps.

Alfisti: sorry to disagree with the abrasives part, but I used to own a plating and polishing business and you`ve got it backwards: Chrome won`t take abrasives at all without ruining the plating while aluminum can take several types of abrasives depending upon finish desired. If you`re starting from "as cast" to "highly polished" there are several levels you need to use.

Chrome plating is a very thin protective layer for the shiny nickel plating underneath.

Here`s a shot of my Halibrands with "as cast" centers and polished rims. Hope this helps.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/13244nxt_techpolish_insideplusoutside.jpg

Totoland Mach

imported_Eric
10-07-2005, 05:13 AM
I am far from being an expert. But some aluminum parts are coated and will be ruined with products designed to remove oxidation. Wheels comes to mind. Things like aluminum engine parts such as valve covors and aluminum intakes can be polished with conventional products.

BTW I have used aluminum foil on exhaust tips after polishing..not sure if this is a good Idea..but it works. :)

imported_Totoland Mach
10-07-2005, 05:56 AM
adc100: you are ABSOLUTELY correct! Any metal finish that has a protective coating (clear coat, powder coat, etc) can be ruined with abrasives. I typically like to "quick test" a part with a non-abrasive polish like Mother`s Billet Cream or Meg`s NXT Metal Polysh. If the applicator does not turn black with oxidation, there`s a good chance the part has been clear coated.

Totoland Mach