PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift recommendations

01GTB
12-14-2004, 03:55 AM
I am looking for a gift for my mom`s husband (maybe soon to be ex-husband :dunno ) He has always kept nice automobiles. I actually detailed quite a few of them myself when I was in the business 15 years or so ago, when he was on his third or fourth wife :rolleyes: Since those days he has retired and I think he does it all himself now. Although I have not really looked at them to close it looks as if he does a pretty good job, especially on his pride and joy 2000 black Porsche. That said, everytime he sees my Bullitt he tries to bribe me with large sums of money to detail his car.

Anyway, enough of that story. I have no idea what he uses on the car. I was thinking of getting him a kit from one of the advertisers here, but I am kind of lost on what might be right for him. Obviously I do not want to buy him anything that takes too much effort to use and may not end up looking any better than what he is using now. Any recommendations for a "knock your socks off" product or kit that isn`t too hard to use?

Another thought was some microfiber towels. I know he is using some from Costco now and I have mentioned to him that there is better out there :ranton Obviously he hasn`t screwed anything up too bad with them, I just think maybe he could make a better choice in that department. Maybe a combination of a couple mf`s and something else. Anyway, feel free to recommend some stuff for his gift as I am running out of time to buy. I would like to keep the price down, as we don`t exchange gifts every year.

Thanks,
Keith

Limited-Liberty
12-14-2004, 07:08 AM
I would suggest getting him a bottle of poorboys spray and wipe. I would think that any body that is an average detailer and not crazy like we are here might not have a product like that already in their arsenal and would love to have something like that because of how much time it saves and that job it does. You gave me a good idea. I still need to get one more thing for my dad and my brother and that might be what I get them some detailing products so I don’t have to bust my hump all the time doing their trucks.

Good Luck,
Mark

Eliot Ness
12-14-2004, 08:38 AM
...........it looks as if he does a pretty good job, especially on his pride and joy 2000 black Porsche. That said, everytime he sees my Bullitt he tries to bribe me with large sums of money to detail his car........
Depending on how much you want to spend a jar of Souveran paste should impress him on a black Porsche. If that is more than you want to spend then some quality MF`s and S&W (as already mentioned) would also be nice.

Beemerboy
12-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Wolfgang, Adams and Poorboy all have gift packages that look great and give him enough stuff to last quite a while. I got one from Adams and I think it was the best of the 3 that I saw.

Also the soon to be x is funny

doublel
12-14-2004, 11:31 AM
For MF this is what you want. The current special poorboy`s mega plush six pack for $25 + a FREE 24" x 36" waffle weave drying towel. (see the thread just posted on the poorboy`s forum). The mega plush towels are terrific :bigups and you can introduce him to the wonderful world of drying with big waffle weave mf towels for FREE.

I also suggest the s&w also if your budget allows it.

01GTB
12-14-2004, 05:12 PM
I have some PB MF`s myself. Good stuff! :cool That might be what I do, that and some S&W. The Souveran was my first thought when I was typing the original post, but it is a little to spendy for me this year.

JaCkaL829
12-14-2004, 06:45 PM
I just put a "mini" detailing kit together for my uncle for Christmas. I included 1 bottle of S+W, 1 bottle of PwC, three MFs and an applicator pad, all wrapped up in a little bucket. Maybe you should try something like that except with Nattys or EX-P in place of the PwC, if you see hes a retired detailer. There are also pre-made kits offered by the sponsers that you might want to check out. I`m not to sure of your price range, so its hard to determine whats best. Hope this helps

01GTB
12-15-2004, 04:01 AM
Decided to stick with MF`s and S&W. I ordered two of the "specials" from PB and a 32oz of S&W. I`ll give him one of the MF sets with a waffle weave and my unused 16oz bottle I bought a while back and keep the 32oz bottle and a set of MF`s for myself :) I really like using PB because of the Paypal thing. I can pay out of my checking account and not be overly tempted to credit card it :naughty