PDA

View Full Version : Help - Frustrated w/tire shine

KTNC
05-02-2005, 03:44 PM
My truck has huge Raised white letter tires and I can not find a tire shine that has yet to meet with my approval.

I tried the PB`s Bold N Bright which seemed to work well on the wife`s lower profile all black tires... But not on the truck. Maybe my method is wrong, I spray it on, let it soak for a few minutes then wipe w/ a terry cloth towel. And all I get is "smearing" and non uniform application. Tires were cleaned and washed prior to application.

I`ve tried foams, gels, liquids... What is the best choice for these truck tires in preferably a water based non dust collecting product???

Pats300zx
05-02-2005, 03:51 PM
I have raised white letter tires on my F150 and I use either EO Wet Tire Shine or Megs Hot Shine (spray). I spray it on the tire and let it sit for about 15 mins. Then I use one of those foamed tire apps that have a handle on them.

No fuss..no muss...

I also tried out some of those scrubbie foam sponges that you can get at the Dollar Store this weekend. They are awesome. The backing keeps your hands from getting covered and messy. For 10 for $1 they make applications on low profile tires perfect. When I`m done using it I just put it in a soap dish with a lid. (another Dollar Store purchase) :D

No more messy hands...

EBPcivicsi
05-02-2005, 04:00 PM
I would try applying the dressing with an EO tire swipe. The raised letters will most likely degrade the foam, but it will still provide an even application.

imported_truzoom
05-02-2005, 04:50 PM
I have the same problem with my tires, and I`ve found that using the right tool is more effective than the product. Get yourself a pack of those foam paintbrushes and use the small ones to get around the letters, then a tireswipe for the big areas.

JasonD
05-02-2005, 04:55 PM
I too have a vehicle with RWL, and I find the best way to apply tire shine on any tire is to apply it with an applicator. Dampen the applicator with a little water and then prime it with the tire shine (this just reduces the amount of product is needed to prime it). I then spray the tire directly with tire shine and evenly apply it with the applicator. Sometimes one pass is good enough and sometimes it takes two.

imported_The Uncle
05-02-2005, 05:24 PM
As far a products are concerned, I`ve had great experiences with Wolfgang Tire dressing. It goes on nice and matte. It spreads easily, and I don`t have any problems with dust or sling. The only real downside is the ridiculous cost.

wannafbody
05-02-2005, 09:42 PM
try Mothers FX tire shine- water based and not overly expensive-might be what your looking for

KTNC
05-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the responses. I`ll report back...