PDA

View Full Version : Is car wash soap considered a detergent?

III
05-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Well?

JasonD
05-02-2005, 02:59 PM
I would say, yes. This is taken from Dictionary.com:

deÂÂterÂÂgent Audio pronunciation of "detergent" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-tÃÂrjnt)

n.

A cleansing substance that acts similarly to soap but is made from chemical compounds rather than fats and lye.

adj.

Having cleansing power.

togwt
05-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Detergent or Soap?

More Cleaning Solutions

by Annie Berthold-Bond, Care2.com Producer, Green Living Channels

Many people are confused about the difference between soap and detergent. Soaps and detergents are not the same thing, although both are surfactants, or surface active agents, which basically means a washing compound that mixes with grease and water.

Simple Solution:

Soaps are made of materials found in nature. Detergents are synthetic (although some of the ingredients are natural); they were developed during World War II when oils to make soap were scarce.

There is little doubt that soap is better for your health and the environment than detergents. Detergents are very toxic to fish and wildlife. Nonetheless, a big drawback of washing with soap is that the minerals in water react with those in soap, leaving an insoluble film. This can turn clothes grayish, and the film can leave a residue (such as is found on shower stalls, for example).

Detergents react less to minerals in water and for all practical purposes are the product of choice for laundry, unless you have very soft water. Those of you with hard waterÃâ‚â€which has a high mineral contentÃâ‚â€already know about this, I am sure. If you choose to wash your clothes with a detergentÃâ‚â€or the dishes, or some of my recipes asking for a biodegradable soap or detergentÃâ‚â€you can ensure the least possible damage to the environment by selecting the most biodegradable products.

I get the feeling there is more to your question than the simple differences betwwn one and the other?

JonM

III
05-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

Detergent or Soap? I get the feeling there is more to your question than the simple differences betwwn one and the other?[/i]

JonM

No, just curious that`s all.