PDA

View Full Version : Swirls: SSR2.5 or SSR3

Quant
05-02-2005, 11:19 AM
A few days ago, I tried removing swirls off a neglected 1999 Chrysler Concorde (dark green). SSR 2.5 was applied partly by hand, and partly using a Simoniz Orbital.

I was largely unsuccessful. Being a newb, I think my technique of using the orbital wasn`t optimum, applying too much pressure with a 4" foam pad. And of course, there`s only so much I can do with my hand before getting exhausted. I am thinking of retrying.

My question to Autopians, How do I figure out if I need to do more passes with SSR 2.5, or should I up the abrasiveness to SSR 3? Thanks.

J.J.
05-02-2005, 11:42 AM
As long as you allow the 2.5 to breakdown, you shouldn`t have any problems. I`ve only been here a short while, but I`ve never heard anyone with experience indicate 2.5 wouldn`t take care of swirls. Maybe move to a more aggressive pad and a PC b/c going to SSR 3 will most likely require a rotary.

JJ

BlkSilverado
05-02-2005, 11:55 AM
I agree with JJ. SSR2.5 is an awesome polish that will remove 95% of all defects. Make sure and work a small area(2x2) and use enough product to coat the pad. Work it in until clear and remove and inspect your work. Some places might require a second application.

imported_DetailGirl
05-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Careful with SSR 3 its some heavy duty stuff

Quant
05-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Does anyone have any idea how good the Simoniz Orbital is? I know it is not the PC, but is it really bad? Is that one of my problems?

Big Leegr
05-03-2005, 09:40 AM
If you are talking about the cordless (4") then it`s basically just for applying a wax or maybe a glaze. It won`t have the "Oomph" to work a polish in.

If you`re talking about their ROB`s (6 or 10"), then they`re about as good as any other ROB. That being said, some people would find using one to be helpful to them (You can work in polishes/1 step waxes longer without wearing yourself out). Others seem to find merely being in the presence of on to be an insult to their entire lineage.

One problem you might have with the 6/10" ROB`s would be the bonnets. If you have a cheap bonnet, you could induce marring, more than you started with, possibly.

If you were using the 4" cordless, again, I don`t know if you`d be able to work something like 2.5 long enough for it to do much.

Either way, as long as you are using products that state they can be used by hand, you may get better/easier results with a ROB, but still not quite to the level of a PC.

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2005, 10:04 AM
First of all, without any pictures it`s hard to make a judgement on this. The swirls could be *really* deep, meaning that they may not come out completely. Can you feel them with your fingernail? Second, swirl removal can take a long time, even with a PC and a fairly aggressive polish like SSR 2.5. I second DetailGirl`s caution about SSR3, it`s some REALLY gritty stuff, make sure you know what you are doing before you go to that, and you`ll have to follow it up with something finer.