PDA

View Full Version : #81 polish over wax?

wizzardlikeccs
05-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Ive been toping #80 speed glaze with #81 followed by wax. #81 hand polish giving it more depth and that wet look. Now ive read on the meguires forum that some people do that and also top the wax itself with another coat of #81 for an even wetter look. Now my understanding is that #81 hand polish does have a very very fine abrasive.... so low it almost has no cutting power at all. So now the question is... wouldn`t the #81, especially when applied with a d.a over wax in some way remove the wax? if so then what could I use to safely apply over wax for that ultimate wet look. Preferably something by meguiares since I like to stick with what I can get locally.

spotpad
05-02-2005, 06:10 PM
It may remove a little wax because you`re applying it with a DA. If you apply it by hand, it may not remove wax at all.

Take note that #81 Hand Polish isn`t meant to be durable. It`s only meant for temporary shine during shows. Ditto for #7 Show Car Glaze.

JasonD
05-02-2005, 06:28 PM
That doesn`t make complete sense to me. #81 does have abrasives in it, regardless of how mild they are. You could actually consider it one step above a paint cleaner which removes wax, so I`m sure #81 will do the same.

My thinking is that the oils in #81 is what gives it that really wet look.

wizzardlikeccs
05-02-2005, 06:52 PM
I`m looking for the ultimate finish. When using the rotary by the time i`m done with either #80 speed glaze or #82 swirl remover the finish is flawless as far as not having any cob webs swirls or anything of the kind. Yet i still follow that up with the #81 applied by d.a then top with wax. Anything I can do to improve on this as far as depth? maybe by following the #81 by something else or toping the was with something other than #81. Any ideas are welcome.

JasonD
05-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Sure, you could use a sealant between your polish and wax but you won`t find that locally.