PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Swirl-arific!

vonplyr
05-02-2005, 01:12 AM
Hey everyone! I`m about to detail a dark blue rsx, i got it used, its about 3 years old, and the paint hasnt been taken care of at all. There are swirls all around, but I dont have the cash to invest on a pc. My current plan is:

- wash, clay, #80, aio, 4*upp(or ex, or nxt)

how does that line-up sound? I was considering using mother`s powerpolish over #80, but theres not too much reviews on that. Need some advice here, what`s the MOST effective polish to use to remove swirls by hand?? and I don`t really want my arm falling off afterwards if possible as well!

Thanks for the input!

Black240SX
05-02-2005, 01:33 AM
Something like Meguiar`s Scratch-X is about the best for hand application. Your arm will fall off before you are done, though.

Maybe try Meguiar`s #7 Show Car Glaze. It`s good at hiding swirls.

Don
05-02-2005, 07:16 AM
"vonplyr" what`s the MOST effective polish to use to remove swirls by hand?? and I don`t really want my arm falling off afterwards if possible as well!

Kind of a contradiction in terms, by hand is going to be VERY labor intensive and you will get sore arms not to mention be spending a lot of time on each panel. The key is to work small areas: 6" to 12" square areas at a time to ensure you work each section completely.

I think Black240SX is right, Scratch-X is probably the way for you to go, just make sure you read the directions and work it in, don`t just try to apply and remove.

Maybe you could ask if there is another Autopian close by who would be willing to come over and help out.

Accumulator
05-02-2005, 10:45 AM
vonplyr- Welcome to Autopia!

IMO you oughta keep your expectations realistic, and realistically, I dunno if you`re gonna get the marring removed well enough by hand for a sealant like UPP (which I use on my S8).

The #80 is pretty user-friendly by hand, but a lot of the "success" you`ll have with it will be due to its oils and fillers. When ("if" ;) ) you use the AIO you`re gonna have some unpleasant surprises.

I`s still use the #80, but I`d use different stuff afterwards. I`d just try the NXT, but apply is sorta gently so its cleaners don`t remove all the stuff that the #80 leaves behind.