PDA

View Full Version : Chip Protection - Klasse, Stonguard?

imported_jazee
05-01-2005, 12:10 PM
I`m wondering if anyone knows truly how much of a difference Klasse SG makes as far as reducing the number of chips in the paint? I would expect a liquid sealant isn`t really going to make much of a difference.

As a result I was looking into Stongaurd for my brand new Volvo S60R. At first I was hyped up about it as it is an excellent clear plastic product (made by 3M) also called a `clear bra` but when I found out it was $700 to have the `full kit` installed I re-evaluated if it was truly worth the money.

1) Although it is clear, the lines are visible but only when you are close to car.

2) Polishes and waxes can build up on the edges requiring an extra detailing step to take a toothpick or something to remove the build-up.

3) The film itself will eventually get its own blemishes while keeping the condition of the paint underneath brand new though.

4) The amount it would contribute to increased resale value of a used car as compared to a used car that was taken really good care of in general is negligible in my opinion.

5) It seems like a good idea for collector cars or cars driven in areas that may have a lot of sand/debris on the road many weeks of the year (including driven at race tracks.)

I concluded I would get more enjoyment from spending the $700 on performance parts since I live in the Northwest where the roads rarely have sand and debris and I won`t be taking the car skiing.

I`m just wondering if maybe applying a couple extra coats of Klasse SG to the hood and front end every couple of months would offer any siginificant increase in protection againts paint chips or if there is an even better product for this? I think I will definitely put the film on my headlights as they cost $1,500 to replace.

joburnet
05-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Adding SG is not going to protect your paint from chips at all.

imported_jazee
05-01-2005, 12:44 PM
I think you may have misunderstood me. I`m not saying the Klasse will prevent chips totally like the 3M film will, I`m just asking if it reduces the propensity for the paint to chip, and if so, by how much?

The reason I infer the Klasse SG may help reduce the paints propensity to chipping is because it is widely advertised as doing so. "elastic, non-chip, shrink-proof, heat and scratch resistant seal" is what is is usually described as. So I`m trying to find out if the advertising holds any truth to it regarding "non-chip" I know obviously it won`t prevent chips just wondering if it reduces the number of them.

RuffRyder
05-01-2005, 01:22 PM
I think by "non-chip" they mean that the product itself won`t chip, not that it will somehow make your paint "non-chip".

imported_jazee
05-01-2005, 01:42 PM
I sort of thought that too.

imported_Bababooey
05-01-2005, 02:42 PM
I think its a no brainer since I was in your situation a year ago. Nothing eats at me worse than to look at my the beautiful lines of my g35 coupe and then look at the horrific sandblasted front bumper and chipped hood. If your concerned about seeing the edge of the clear bra, then do the entire hood. I realize this would cost more but you might want to consider forgetting about getting the fenders and side view mirrors done. That might offset the cost. But I were you I would include everything. I don`t think the difference between a car whose paint is in great condition and one which is full of defects is negligible. If you only plan to keep your car a short time than maybe you have an ok approach. But when it come down to selling an S60R chances are you`re gonna be dealing with people that are car enthusiasts which will use condition of the exterior to there advantage during negotiations. I`ve done it many times to lower the purchase price.

I`ve used layers of Klasse SG on my car for many months and it had zero affect on preventing rock chips.

I`m at the point now where I have to look into getting the car repainted which brings out a whole new can of worms. I need to find a reputable company, how well can they match the paint and will I be satisfied, figure out how I`m going to avoid rock chips while the paint cures, etc. Avoid the hassle and just do it and don`t look back.

wannafbody
05-01-2005, 09:11 PM
any "wax" will only be 1 or 2 microns thick-none will protect from chips

kevganzon
05-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Is it 3M film that looks like a plastic covering over the frontal area of cars which is also called "Invisibra"???

srtviper
05-05-2005, 02:30 AM
I know this probably sound stupid but has anyone ever done the entire car lol top to bottom?

chrisx
05-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by srtviper

I know this probably sound stupid but has anyone ever done the entire car lol top to bottom?

This would be very expensive and if someone was to damage one part of a panel (or film) that panel would have to be redone as it would show. I would only consider doing the lower part of my Outback as they are plastic panels on the doors.