PDA

View Full Version : Klasse and FMJ

Jesstzn
05-01-2005, 10:41 AM
To start the story off in perspective .. I am a Zaino fan and bought the new Z2 Pro along with Z1 because I do a panel at a time so ZFX is out of the equasion ( I do have it ).

I started my spring detail a month ago and got everything polished out and Z2 Pro x 1 and noticed that it marred really easy no matter what I did .. old Z2 didn`t seem to be this fragile . I was doing it at 45 F etc same as last year .. There is a possibility it never did cure properly .. dunno .

Anyway I buffed it all out with #80 then AIO x 1 and SG x4 and its is stunning and not marring .. ( was +/- the same temps as the Zaino application )

My intention was to Z2 Pro x 3 and then FMJ but that fell through .. So I did the FMJ on the SG .. result as wet and deep if not better than #16 over SG. I did a second FMJ this morning and out in the sun its stunning .

My cheapass 2.0 megapixel cam won`t pick up any diff in the sg before and FMJ after tho I tried .

So if you have both on the shelf ... give them a shot ..

BTW there might be Z2 Pro and Z1 ( less an ounce each ) up for grabs to some lucky Canuck at a savings.

grt1today
05-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Uh Oh! Now you`ve done it, here comes the Zealots ;) On a flipnote, I finally sprang for the FMJ, I`m excited to try it. I`ve had all their other products for so long that it was just a matter of time. I gotta tell you though for $50 (refill size) I expect to be blown away. I don`t even get instructions with this $50 bottle, that`s pretty sad...

DrSauekraut
05-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Funny you posted this . . . in preparation for the summer, Iâ€â„¢m considering various combinations atop my 337. FMJ is on the list, but never thought of using HGSG below. Thanks for the idea :xyxthumbs

armoredsaint
05-01-2005, 02:51 PM
I do notice that FMJ gives my TT a darker look, like carnuba and the SG gives it a sterile shinier look which I like more, but removing the SG compared to FMJ wasn`t worth it...maybe :D

6speedZ
05-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Can someone please explain the purpose of FMJ and how it is suppose to be used. I currently use IP and FPII and love Menzerna and was considering FMJ, but I am still not sure what its main function is. Is it a sealar?

JeffM
05-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Yes sealant, looks alot like UPP save yer money.

Jesstzn
05-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by 6speedZ

Can someone please explain the purpose of FMJ and how it is suppose to be used. I currently use IP and FPII and love Menzerna and was considering FMJ, but I am still not sure what its main function is. Is it a sealar?

Its a Last Step Product .. its a sealant and is applied to protect the paint and enhance the gloss .... IP & FP are both polishes and you need something after them.

Consider it like Klasse SG or Zaino etc .. Its a high end sealant with decent life.

imported_Mighty HD
05-01-2005, 06:03 PM
FMJ is the best. The 1st coat looks so so--wait 48hrs and put on the 2nd coat, and touch up with the Menzerna QD...woo!

termigator
05-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by grt1today

Uh Oh! Now you`ve done it, here comes the Zealots ;) On a flipnote, I finally sprang for the FMJ, I`m excited to try it. I`ve had all their other products for so long that it was just a matter of time. I gotta tell you though for $50 (refill size) I expect to be blown away. I don`t even get instructions with this $50 bottle, that`s pretty sad...

Did you get it from Classic Motoring? They do state that the refill size is meant for the detailing professional and does not come with instructions. In any case, it`s as easy to use as anything out there. Just wipe on, wait for it to haze, (about five to ten minutes) and then wipe off. At the risk of inciting the rage of the Zaino Zealots, I say this: It is soooooo much easier to apply and remove than Zaino. BTW, IMO FMJ looks totally awesome!:up

imported_Adamah
05-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by termigator

Just wipe on, wait for it to haze, (about five to ten minutes) and then wipe off. At the risk of inciting the rage of the Zaino Zealots, I say this: It is soooooo much easier to apply and remove than Zaino. BTW, IMO FMJ looks totally awesome!:up Can you elaborate why FMJ is easier than Zaino? You state you just wipe on, let haze then wipe off. Thats the way I`ve used Zaino for the last 4 years. Am I missing something?

grt1today
05-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Yeah that`s the one from CMA. Looking at the 16oz bottle for $39 with instructions and I think an applicator, versus 16oz more(32oz) for $10 more and no instructions, it was a no brainer for me. I just thought it was crazy since the price of this sealant is pretty high to be honest to not include something. I`ve gotten booklets with all of their other less expensive products. But as long as I`m blown away by the results, all will be forgiven... PS I also got in on that 1 cent offer for the acrylic sheld with it, so all was not lost...

chevyguy28
05-01-2005, 10:16 PM
CMA may still have the special where you get FMJ for $40 and then a bottle of Acrylic Spritz for an extra .01. Sportscarcare.com also has it for under $40 if you`d like. Plus it comes with a MF applicator and towel.

Still, this isn`t the cheapest stuff out there. I`d say it`s similar to $20 Platinum UPP, but I like FMJ a little better.

Zaino vs. FMJ

Application: It`s a pleasure. With FMJ you don`t have to worry about applying it so thinly because it comes off easier than Zaino. Probably the easiest product to remove I`ve tried. Spreads very easily, but so does Zaino. The only thing is that when it`s cold outside, it may take a bit for it to dry. In the hot weather we had yesterday (high 70`s), it was dry before I finished doing the entire car. On cold days, it takes 15-30 minutes. I usually go inside and have something to drink, then come back out.

Aesthetics: I prefer it to Z2 on my black car. Just has a darker, more wet look to it, whereas Zaino is more reflective and plasticky. I have not yet tried Z8 on the black car, so I can`t say for sure which I`d ultimately prefer. It`s hard for me to compare because I`m using Z2 Pro/Z8 on my titanium car, and FMJ on my black.

Slickness: FMJ is more slick than Z2Pro. It`s absolutely fantastic, couldn`t ask for a more slick surface. And the acrylic spritz renews it.

Durability: Nothing seems to last as long as Zaino, so don`t expect 9 months out of FMJ. But I`d be happy with a month or two. Slickness seems to go away more quickly than Zaino, but that`s why there is the Menzerna QD. Beads up quite nicely, so time will tell how long it lasts. Goes on so easily though, that I don`t mind applying another coat more often that I would with Zaino.

Overall, Zaino and Menzerna are my favorite products and I like using them both. You`ll just have to try them before deciding!

- J