PDA

View Full Version : I`m so confused!

Xtremetraveler
05-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Hello everyone. I`m so glad I found this site, as it`s already become a great source for information. Anyway, now to business. I have a brand-new (as in 126 miles now)`05 Subaru Forester, woodland green in color. My mail question is do I need to use some sort of paint cleaner/prep before I put on that all-important wax? Second, does a new car need any type of finishing polish? I`m so mixed up right now about what brands to use, and what steps to take and when. The last wax I used was meguire`s NXT liquid, and I thought it did a great job. (checked reviews, but didn`t see NXT liquid specifically mentioned) Anyway, thanks for any tips/answers/suggestions to help my confusions go away!

DantePasquale
05-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Welcome!

Run your finger along the paint (some put a plastic sandwich bag over their finger to increase the sensitivity). Does it feel smooth, or are there bumps and/or the bag catches? If so, you should probably clay the paint.

If you like the look of the paint, you can get away with a LSP, either wax or `other`. I like to clay, polish and wax twice a year, otherwise I wax 4 to six times a year, FWIW.:wavey

togwt
05-01-2005, 10:36 AM
:welcome to Autopia Xtremetraveler

My best suggestion would be to download ( its free)DByron`s e-Detaling book, it has application methods and product recommendations

JonM

Accumulator
05-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Xtremetraveler- Welcome to Autopia!

Read the e-book and, heh heh, don`t get too caught up in all the extreme stuff we seem to discuss all the time. If you like how your Forester looks with the NXT liquid then there`s no reason to use anything else. Nice color, BTW.

When researching NXT, unless it says "NXT *paste*" I`d say it`s safe to assume that it`s the liquid. Since this product has some (very) mild cleaners in it, it can work well all by itself. But I do like to clay new vehicles just to make sure there isn`t any "rail dust" embedded in the paint (it will corrode and turn into "rust blooms" later).

No need to use a polish before the NXT unless you have marring ("swirls", etc.) that you need to get rid of.

Glossmaster
05-01-2005, 12:56 PM
:welcome :woot2:

Welcome to Autopia!!!!! I`m in total agreement with Accumulator!

Happy waxing!!

Lowejackson
05-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Agree with the Autopia book - it is very useful.

Also look at your car under a street light or some other artificial light source, is the paint free of all marks, if not some polish is needed

JeffM
05-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Welcome aboard :)

Learn everything you can about how to wash and dry your car.

goceltics34
05-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by JBM

Welcome aboard :)

Learn everything you can about how to wash and dry your car.

I couldn`t agree more! The best way to protect your car`s finish is to wash and dry properly.

As far as products are concerned, you will read abount numerous sealants and carnaubas. You can just stick with what works for you, or if you want to really push the envelope try some of the products that autopians rave about. Just to warn you thought that this hobby is addicting!

Good luck with your car!:woot:

Xtremetraveler
05-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by goceltics34

I couldn`t agree more! The best way to protect your car`s finish is to wash and dry properly.

As far as products are concerned, you will read abount numerous sealants and carnaubas. You can just stick with what works for you, or if you want to really push the envelope try some of the products that autopians rave about. Just to warn you thought that this hobby is addicting!

Good luck with your car!:woot:

Hey...Thanks everyone for all the warm welcomes:xyxthumbs

All the suggestions have been really good. I finally took the time to take a good look/feel at my car`s finish. It`s very straight, but not as smooth as I want it. (probably due to the trip by rail from the assembly point, sitting at dealership, etc..) I ended up just going with maguire`s (very mild) "paint cleaner" first, followed by the NXT waxing....Car looks like a mirror! Next time around I`ll probably do more research and go with something along the lines of Zaino or Moose. Again, thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions, especially the one about downloading the e-book. I did, and it`s proven very useful already.

BlkSilverado
05-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Xtremetraveler:

Welcome!! I am new also but have been surfing for about 6 months. NXT is a really good sealent that has some minor cleaning ability. I would definetly reccomend claying the paint. You will feel a huge difference after you do. This is one of the key prep steps in the detailing process. Especially new cars. Good Luck!