PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Waxes and Black Metallic.

Richt
05-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Having a quick thought regarding these and Black paint, in my case metallic black paint. In dull conditions my paint looks jet Black, in bright sun however it has a gold flip to it.

Due to the fact its looks dark in anthing but sunlight Pinnacle Souveran works great. Last weekend I tried out the new Clearkote Red Machine Glaze and Yellow Moose Cream Wax, so I have been reapplying my Wolfgang this week. Yesterday in bright sun I noticed that the clearer look off the WG ( now x3) meant I got more pop from the paint and its gold flakes, without the Souveran.

As much as I love the look of it when topped, part off me is now feeling that the darkening effect off the Souveran may mute the flakes? Not sure if it is me imagining this or not. The worrying fact is I have just spent more money on anoter can of Souveran as it was on sale last weekend on here!

Has any one tried the Signature Series Wax on black or more importantly mettallic black, any pics thoughts?

Doing a few searchs on here I cant work out if the Signature is geared for light colours or Mettallics in general light or dark?

Before I spend any more money, if any one has tried Signature on whatever colour how does it shape up / compare in comparison to P21s, Nattys, 16 CMW etc ?... as I have all thes already.

As you can see the paint looks very black with Souveran

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/r-jay-clio/P3280075.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/r-jay-clio/P3280077.jpg

But as this shot shows it does conation a metallic flip

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/r-jay-clio/flake.jpg

Any views thoughts, much appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

togwt
05-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Just my opinion but an optically clear product should bring out what the paint mfg had in mind when he deigned / mixed the paint and / or metallic colour.

Optically clear products (alphabetical)-

Polymers;

Klasse, Menzerna, Zanio,

Polish:

Menzerna

Wax:

Menzerna , P21S, Zymol

Not forgetting the usual disclaimer-The aesthetics of a vehicles appearance is very subjective to say the least, the only best wax or sealant that really matters is what looks `best` to you...

It really does all come down to; 85% preparation, 5% product, 7% application method and the balance is in the â€Ëœguyâ€â„¢ of the beholder

JonM

Glossmaster
05-01-2005, 12:43 PM
I see you`ve had the same outcome with the Souveran that I`ve had. ( on black metalic paint ) This may sound rather strange.....but I`ve found that Souveran focuses your eye on the "back or bottom of the paint" as opposed to most other waxes & synthetics that focus your eyes on the "front or clear coat side of the paint". Thus, the deeper darkening appearance of your black metalic paint. At this point and time, Im must make an "Autopian Confession"!! I currently have Z5 x3 & Z2 Pro x3 topped with Z8 on my Black Sand Pearl colored Tacoma. The Zaino looks terrific on it. Clear, Reflective, Some Depth & Wetness. The silver & gold metalic flakes leap right off the paints appearance. the finish is almost 3 dimensional. Lately I`ve been posting replies in most of the carnauba related threads & I just couldn`t help myself. I`m in a "Carnauba Craze". I`ve broken my own rule! ( here comes the confession) I`VE TOPPED THE ZAINO WITH SOUVERAN!! Yes, that`s right.....I did it!! Zaino fans are now fainting. Some are even shaking their heads. ( no doubt ) Ya know what????? The "BlkTac05" looks simply stunning. Ultra wet,Ultra deep looking pool of Toyota Tacoma Blackness. Yes, the Souveran muted the metalic flakes & warmed the finish. It`s precisely the look I`ve been looking for! If you`re looking to accent the metalic flakes I recommend you use a syntheic ( Klasse,EX P,UPP & ofcourse......Zaino!) If your looking for a carnauba to use or to top your synthetic, go wtih the P21S or the Pinnacle Paste Glaz with the understanding that a carnauba will warm the look of the paint some. ( Your car looks phenomenal, by the way! ) :xyxthumbs

termigator
05-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by BlkTac05

I see you`ve had the same outcome with the Souveran that I`ve had. ( on black metalic paint ) This may sound rather strange.....but I`ve found that Souveran focuses your eye on the "back or bottom of the paint" as opposed to most other waxes & synthetics that focus your eyes on the "front or clear coat side of the paint". Thus, the deeper darkening appearance of your black metalic paint. At this point and time, Im must make an "Autopian Confession"!! I currently have Z5 x3 & Z2 Pro x3 topped with Z8 on my Black Sand Pearl colored Tacoma. The Zaino looks terrific on it. Clear, Reflective, Some Depth & Wetness. The silver & gold metalic flakes leap right off the paints appearance. the finish is almost 3 dimensional. Lately I`ve been posting replies in most of the carnauba related threads & I just couldn`t help myself. I`m in a "Carnauba Craze". I`ve broken my own rule! ( here comes the confession) I`VE TOPPED THE ZAINO WITH SOUVERAN!! Yes, that`s right.....I did it!! Zaino fans are now fainting. Some are even shaking their heads. ( no doubt ) Ya know what????? The "BlkTac05" looks simply stunning. Ultra wet,Ultra deep looking pool of Toyota Tacoma Blackness. Yes, the Souveran muted the metalic flakes & warmed the finish. It`s precisely the look I`ve been looking for! If you`re looking to accent the metalic flakes I recommend you use a syntheic ( Klasse,EX P,UPP & ofcourse......Zaino!) If your looking for a carnauba to use or to top your synthetic, go wtih the P21S or the Pinnacle Paste Glaz with the understanding that a carnauba will warm the look of the paint some. ( Your car looks phenomenal, by the way! ) :xyxthumbs

It takes a lot of balls to admit you actually topped Zaino with Souveran let alone anything!:D

Would you do it again or was it just something you wanted to try? My car is black with blue metallic flakes, BTW.

Glossmaster
05-01-2005, 07:39 PM
In answerring your question, I must take the 5th in fear of incriminating myself! ( I feel like mark McGwire ! ) :wall

Richt
05-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the replies, I will skip the Souveran this time and try some P21s, I think i will leave the buying any Signature for now.

Lowejackson
05-02-2005, 08:24 AM
I am beginning to wonder if the perceived depth of a wax is really just a distortion. I have noticed several times when using a sealant AG or Zaino how clear the paint looks until I add some wax when I lose some clarity but gain some depth

Richt
05-02-2005, 08:31 AM
After wax, all the crisp reflections become softer and the clear look becomes muted with the souveran and in doing this the pop off the flakes is removed to.

My old 306 looked noticably different in colour and depth at one Concours event last year when parked next to another entrants car off the same colour.

togwt
05-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Quote: I am beginning to wonder if the perceived depth of a wax is really just a distortion. I have noticed several times when using a sealant AG or Zaino how clear the paint looks until I add some wax when I lose some clarity but gain some depth

Carnauba wax-

These wax molecules form an egg-grate type mesh over the smaller paint molecules of the paint film surface, which gives it an optical depth. Due to this shape the reflected light becomes somewhat distorted, this produces jetting (the so called â€Ëœwet-lookâ€â„¢) sometimes described as liquidity. Carnauba wax is inherently hydroscopic when exposed to water; wax swells and closes its pores, which along with surface tension, causes `water beading`.

BlkTac05- I`ve never given it much thought, but I think you are correct the `distortion` would mute the effect of the metallic flakes.

JonM

JustinR32
05-02-2005, 11:06 AM
For me, the illusion of depth is given by the removal of "surface cues"; swirls etc.

From that guess (not strong enough to even call a hypothesis, let alone a theory) metallic paints already have the illusion of depth built into the paint; the metalflake draws the eye down into the sparkle.

In that case, I would want the thinnest, clearest protection available to help retain that which was already built into the paint itself.

Tom

Glossmaster
05-02-2005, 05:27 PM
TOGWT,

That`s exactly what happened when I topped the "Z" with Souveran.

Mosca,

If you`re looking for the clearest, thinnest protection available, Zaino is the way to go.