PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on 3M Products

Gen2
04-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Presently I have 3M PI3RC, FI2M and PIFPPG as shown below.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/206813mpi3rc.jpg http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/206813mfi2m.jpg http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/206813mpifppg.jpg

I have tried using the RC and FI2M with a rotary but the material seems to dry up very fast and become powdery. Will these powdery residue induce swirl and how long should I work on it ? Normally I will put a 8" long of material on the car and work in a 2`x2` area with W7000 and W8000 pad. The main purpose is to remove swirl and scratches. Will the result be the same if I use a DA polisher instead, I am not too sure these product can be used with a DA polisher. So any good technic and method to use these three product will be appreciated. Thanks.

stevet
05-01-2005, 12:03 AM
I use the PI III RC and the Finesse It II FM with the PC and I never have dusting problems or a problem with it drying up. I find I can work FI II longer than most polishes before it starts to dry up. I mist the pad with water or QD and use plenty of polish. The less polish you use the quicker it will dry up when working it.

Gen2
05-01-2005, 03:22 AM
Thanks stevet, how do you find PI3 RC and FI2 FM in term of removing swirl and minor scratches. How long do you work the product and what kind of pad are you using ? Did you try #80 before, if yes how do you compare 3M to it.

I thought there are quite a number of 3M user here, anybody care to share some experience using 3M with rotary ?

JeffM
05-01-2005, 06:50 AM
With a Roatary i belive you are only to make a few passes, not like the PC at all.

Is your speed 1200-1500?

Gen2
05-01-2005, 08:05 AM
Hi JBM, my speed is around 1200rpm. When you mentioned a few passes, by then has the product turns powdery or do you stop working when the product is still wet but about to turn powdery?

stevet
05-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Gen2

Thanks stevet, how do you find PI3 RC and FI2 FM in term of removing swirl and minor scratches. How long do you work the product and what kind of pad are you using ? Did you try #80 before, if yes how do you compare 3M to it.

?

I use PI III RC and FI II FM with polishing, light Cutting, and cutting pads. PI III RC and a cutting pad is as aggressive as I would go with a PC. If you can`t remove the defect with that combo you will need a rotary. PI II Fine Cut RC is slightly more aggressive but dusts much more and the dust is very bad for your health. Finesse It II FM destroyed Megs DACP in a side by side comparison I did on a black Monte Carlo SS. I work both FI II FM and PI III RC until they are almost gone but not until they dust.

As for Megs #80 it is less aggressive than both those 3M products. I find #80 to be just a little more aggressive than 3M PI III Machine Glaze. If your into 3M than get yourself some MG. Great product.

From my experience this is how 3M products rank from most abrasive to least.

PI II FC RC

PI III RC

FI II FM

PI III MG

PI II Swirl Mark Remover

The Medium Cut, and Extra Cut compounds I don`t use.

Gen2
05-01-2005, 09:40 AM
stevet that`s a very detail write you have and it really helps me to understand the products better. I didn`t know that Finesse It II FM is better than DACP and I am actually thinking of get the DACP to try it out. Btw how much product you use to do a 2` x 2` area ?

Do you think I can remove most of the swirl and light scratches with the following process, cutting pad with FI II FM follow by polishing pad with PI Foam Polishing Pad Glaze (FPPG) and lastly follow by a LSP by hand.

Just to double check, does PI FPPG leaves any oil residue or filler behind ? From the feel of it, the paint surface felt very clean, non oily after using PI FPPG and I wonder will it be alright to apply sealant directly after PI FPPG.

Tanat198
05-01-2005, 09:55 AM

Presently I have 3M PI3RC, FI2M and PIFPPG as shown below.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/206813mpi3rc.jpg http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/206813mfi2m.jpg http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/206813mpifppg.jpg

I have tried using the RC and FI2M with a rotary but the material seems to dry up very fast and become powdery. Will these powdery residue induce swirl and how long should I work on it ? Normally I will put a 8" long of material on the car and work in a 2`x2` area with W7000 and W8000 pad. The main purpose is to remove swirl and scratches. Will the result be the same if I use a DA polisher instead, I am not too sure these product can be used with a DA polisher. So any good technic and method to use these three product will be appreciated. Thanks.

Gen2

I have try PI-III MG 05937 and got the same problem. It dries wayyy too fast, faster than I expected. It`s possible that the weather around here is very hot. I use it with PC. Believe it or not, it induces swirls on my car!!! I decided to switch to 1ZPP and couldn`t be happier. The product stays wet a whole lot longer and is easier to use. My recommendation to you is to use #80 with polishing pad to remove light swirls. To many users here, they prefer 1Z PP to #80. I have never tried #80 but if you can`t find 1Z there. #80 will do.

Good luck.

Gen2
05-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Hi Tanat198, thanks for your input. I surprised to hear that PI-III MG induce swirl on your car because I have been hearing good feedback from this forum with PI-III MG. I am wondering could it be the product dries up, produces powdery residue and that causes the swirl. That`s the reason why I am checking with the more experience guys here before I create more damage to my car.

stevet
05-01-2005, 10:33 PM

stevet that`s a very detail write you have and it really helps me to understand the products better. I didn`t know that Finesse It II FM is better than DACP and I am actually thinking of get the DACP to try it out. Btw how much product you use to do a 2` x 2` area ?

Do you think I can remove most of the swirl and light scratches with the following process, cutting pad with FI II FM follow by polishing pad with PI Foam Polishing Pad Glaze (FPPG) and lastly follow by a LSP by hand.

Just to double check, does PI FPPG leaves any oil residue or filler behind ? From the feel of it, the paint surface felt very clean, non oily after using PI FPPG and I wonder will it be alright to apply sealant directly after PI FPPG.

First, Tanat198`s experience with PI III Machine Glaze is not what most people experience with it. I don`t have enough details to comment on why he had the results he did. Could be many reasons.

FI II FM works much better for me than DACP. Cuts more, easier to work and remove, and dusts less. I apply the product on the pad in a large x pattern for a 2 x 2 are and work it until it`s almost gone but stop before it dusts.

FI II FM with a cutting pad can remove a lot of defects for me. Give it a try and see how it goes. You can always step up to the 3M rubbing compounds if need be.

Just so you know PI Foam Polishing Pad Glaze is 3M Swirl Mark remover in a 32 oz bottle. Yes it contains fillers. Can you apply a sealant over it? Depends on the sealant.

Gen2
05-01-2005, 11:55 PM
Hi stevet, I really appreciate your advice and tips and I will give the products a try during my next detailing. Thanks

Accumulator
05-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Gen2- What Stevet said :xyxthumbs

As for the 3M/1Z/Meg`s choice, some jobs just seem to go better with one product (or even product line) or another :nixweiss I have all three on hand but I generally reach for the 3M.

IMO the too-fast flashing you`re getting with the 3M RC *probably* means you need a little more product and/or need to make it a more multiple-pass process. But note that using more product might require more frequent pad cleaning. I too stop working it before it dries completely, adding more product and giving it more passes as needed. Generally, working a product "to powder" is working it too long, at least IMO.

And yeah, you can use the 3M products by PC, with milder-than-rotary results. Using the 05933/PC/4" pad combo works well for me on marring that isn`t too severe (at least it does on paint that isn`t too hard- won`t do much on an Audi). It works well enough that I`ve never had to use the rotary on our daily-driver Mazda minivan or the WRX we used to have.

The PI-III MG (05937) works well as a follow up to the PI-III RC and does *not* leave fillers. But as noted, whether the fillers are an issue depends on what you`re trying to do and what your LSP will be.