PDA

View Full Version : Klasse or Poorboys?

Evil Weevil
04-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Hi. I drive a year-old Winning Blue RX-8 (mid-blue metallic - a bit like *that* Subaru blue). I`ve always treated it with Meguiars Consumer-range stuff, but I want to take it up a notch!

I like the idea of the Klasse duo, but I`m worried about application as I can only detail my car in the open air, and here in the UK we have to be damn sure that it`s not going to rain... and that means it`s often sunny. The Megs products have been better than OK - the Gold Class has put up with weather during application that wasn`t ideal but, I assume that the Klasse will be more demanding.

Can AIO be used under a sunny sky? And what about the SG?

It`s this potential problem that has made me consider the Poorboys Polish, or Polish with Carnauba, followed by EX or EX-P. They seem to suggest that you can even use their products under full sun. I`d appreciate some feedback about this - which combination is likely to work best? Any other ideas?

PhilS
04-29-2005, 02:18 PM
AIO is not only an excellent paint cleaner but will also lay down some protection as well. Many people on here use AIO as a base for many different sealants - you don`t have to go with SG if you don`t want.

I actually use Carlack68 which I understand is all but identical to AIO. I find that CL68 gives me about 2 weeks before the beading starts to diminish. Not sure about usage in the sun.

JeffM
04-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Do it at 5 am.

Yes i get up that early if i am trying to beat the sun.

6 am is perfect for washing too. The sun is peeking through, but it wont dry anything.

Evil Weevil
04-29-2005, 04:21 PM
... hmmmn, if I lived in Florida I`d give it a try! Good point though!

boosteddsm
04-29-2005, 10:43 PM
You could also look at ClearKote`s products, all useable in full sunlight.

Thomas Dekany
04-29-2005, 11:07 PM
I like both brands - this is all Poorboys.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/113_1312.jpg

Glossmaster
04-29-2005, 11:09 PM
I see the sun as an enemy when applying the Klasse AIO & the SG. Find some shade .........The Klasse & your car will thank you. If shade is not an option for you, try the Ex w/ carnauba. it looks nice on darker colored paint. I understand you`ve asked specifically about the Klasse & Poorboys products ( better durability with the Klasse, IMO ) However, you might also consider the Zaino products as well. ( Superior durability with your weather conditions across the pond! ):xyxthumbs

Scottwax
04-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Poorboy`s or Clearkote have some great sun friendly products. I believe both are available in the UK too. Either brand or mix and match, you will get excellent results with the proper prep.

Glossmaster
04-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Ah yes.........Scottwax..........The Prep Master!!!:bow :bow :buffing: :buffing:

Evil Weevil
04-30-2005, 02:08 AM
Thanks guys, there`s some great advice on this forum.

Following the advice here I think I`ll try out the Poorboys first... maybe try out some Klasse later.

Should I be using anything to remove the Meguiars Polish (step #2 `perfect shine`) and Gold Class? Or will the PB polish do enough. Most, if not all the car will be getting a claying first, but is this enough?

tdekany > having used the PB stuff, which `team` would you go for; the carnauba-enriched polish or the `professional polish`? The paint is in good condition, so I don`t see the need for anything abrasive. And then which sealant? EX or EX-P?

Sorry for all the `?`s... last one (for now) :o ...

Can I `top-off` the PB sealants with something like P21s carnauba if I want to `wetten-up` the shine?

Thanks again folks.

Richt
04-30-2005, 04:08 AM
I would go AIO, Poorboys EX with Carnuba, and then top with P21s or CMW 24 hours later.

or Vanilla Moose, Poorboys EX witn Carnuba, and then top with P21s or CMW

Both the AIO or Vm will remove the the Gold Class.

Thomas Dekany
04-30-2005, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Evil Weevil

Thanks guys, there`s some great advice on this forum.

tdekany > having used the PB stuff, which `team` would you go for; the carnauba-enriched polish or the `professional polish`? The paint is in good condition, so I don`t see the need for anything abrasive. And then which sealant? EX or EX-P?

Sorry for all the `?`s... last one (for now) :o ...

Can I `top-off` the PB sealants with something like P21s carnauba if I want to `wetten-up` the shine?

Thanks again folks.

Both PP and PwC are excellent. I`d lean towards PwC because it will give you protection as well. It is like AIO.

For blue I`d use EX

Evil Weevil
04-30-2005, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys... time to spend some cash!

Lowejackson
05-01-2005, 05:59 AM
Assuming the paint is fully preped I think you would be happy with any of the recommended products but remember the real shine comes from the prep

Evil Weevil
05-01-2005, 07:38 AM
... regarding prep; any advice welcome. My plan was to clay the car (I`ve already done the bonnet and front wings, but covered them in Meguiars polish, followed by Gold Class Wax), would I need to use further paint cleaning before the Poorboys Polish-With-Carnauba? The car is just over a year old, 5,000 miles and I clayed it when I took delivery.

On a seperate note, my bonnet is showing VERY slight `mottling` in the surface sheen... is this from improper `circular` polish application? No-one else seems to see it nut it really bugs me!