PDA

View Full Version : Tips for detailing at car shows?

Vectraman
04-28-2005, 09:27 AM
My first post on here after lurking for a few months and trying to absorb all the information you guys offer. With so many products available that you never knew existed, its quite overwhelming.

My question is do you have any advice on how to finish your car off when displaying with a car club at car shows?

My car is silver by the way.

So far, ive prepped it with P21s cleaner, Clayed it, applied a few coats of NXT and a few coats of P21s carnuba. I have some meg #16 to try too.

I`ll probably get itchy fingers and apply a few more coats of NXT and P21s before the show which i know is probably not really acheiving anything but i love cleaning to much!.

Finally to my question... when i turn up at the show, what should i use on the car to get it looking in peak condition, bearing in mind it will already be fully polished and waxed?

How do glazes work? would that be of any use, of will it just be a case of a quick fix like meg quik detailer?

Tanat198
04-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Use the search engine in the forum to look for the combo for show cars.

You need to prep the finish first. Eliminate all the scratches or blemishes. Then top it with NXT then P21s or MEG #26. This would be my choice.

More experience members will chime in for sure.

Good luck

togwt
04-28-2005, 09:50 AM
If your 100% that the finish is as good as it can be then a QD should suffice. One thing you might try to obtain a very temporary shine when you arrive is Pledge (as in furniture polish)

PS: you are talking a show car as opposed to a concours d`elegance, there is a world of difference

JonM

imported_DennisH
04-28-2005, 10:19 AM
I always car a gallon of distilled water to clean the bugs off the front of the car. Then I clean the car with a duster and finish with a plush MF towel and your favorite QD spray. It if is a judge I will put a furnace filter in front of the radiator to catch the bugs, just pull it out when you get to the show. I also carry window cleaner, paper towels, several small brushes, 303, lots of MF towels and a small spray bottle with some car soap and water premixed. Always make sure you have something to remove bird poop â€â€œ seems that bird also enjoys car shows as much as we do. Also some signs detail you car, the year, model, and any mods. Also I have a sign that says.

Please Do Not Touch

Please Do Not Step or Sit On My Running Boards

Please Keep You Dogs Off the Car

Please Keep Your Baby Carriage at a Safe Distance

Please Do Not Open the Doors

Please Do Not Do Not Sit in the Car

Please Do Not Sit on the Fenders

Please Do Not Sit on the Trunk

Please Do Not Use My Car as a Table

Please Do Not Crawl Under the Car

Please Do Not Rub the Paint

Please Control Your Kids!!!

Please Do Not Dump Soft Drinks in Seats

All Bikes Remain at a Safe Distance

togwt
04-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Great ideas, you might want to change one point on your list-

Please [Do Not ] Control Your Kids!!!

JonM

imported_DennisH
04-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by TOGWT

Great ideas, you might want to change one point on your list-

Please [Do Not ] Control Your Kids!!!

JonM

OOPS ... your right but there is little hope in the US.

MS22
04-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Dennis, also give #s 3 and 4 a look there. I think you want people to "Please DO" keep dogs off the car, same goes for the baby carriges.