PDA

View Full Version : use a QD to remove "wax" ?

wannafbody
04-27-2005, 10:33 PM
do you use a QD to remove wax haze? will it weaken the cross linking action?

lbls1
04-27-2005, 11:24 PM
A qd is good for removing the haze from a wax finish. It is usually good on finishes with a lot of wax. The qd`s that I use have carnauba in it, so along with removing the haze, it works well in settling the wax on the surface. It doesn`t remove wax as I`ve seen it, as the behavior of some qd`s that I like to use are neutral in terms of stripping wax.

joyriiide1113
04-28-2005, 12:06 AM
when removinf a synthetic wax make sure the qd does NOT contain carnuba. carnuba will hinder the bonding process. try to use a non-carnuba qd like mothers, adams, or s&g to remove the residue/haze form synthetic waxes (ex-p, sg, ect)

imported_Totoland Mach
04-28-2005, 06:02 AM
I recently tried Adams Butter Wax and their directions say to spray their Detail Spray on an mf towel to remove the wax. Have to say, this works well with their product. I`ve heard others say the Butter Wax smears if you try to buff it without the Detail Spray. Overall, using this method leaves a great finish.

White95Max
04-28-2005, 07:03 AM
No I just remove wax with a MF towel. If a wax is too difficult to remove with just MF, it doesn`t belong in my arsenal because I`ll never use it.

Tanat198
04-28-2005, 07:21 AM
I once read from MOL that the surface trated with WAX should not be tampered with QD or water within 24 hour. It could compromise the wax`s performance. It could apply to only MEGs` waxes, perhaps.

Glossmaster
04-28-2005, 07:35 AM
If I have the "wax haze" problem, I go about the removal in a couple of ways. Like many have stated previously, I go with a qd either with or without carnauba. Or a slightly dampened mf with distilled water.

Wasatch
04-28-2005, 08:21 AM
I would use a MF first, then if that does not work a QD. This has not happen to me yet, wait a minute, yes it has with #80.

togwt
04-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Tanat198

I once read from MOL that the surface trated with WAX should not be tampered with QD or water within 24 hour. It could compromise the wax`s performance. It could apply to only MEGs` waxes, perhaps.

A polymer sealant should not come into contact with oil and / or water until it has cross-linked, usually 24 -48 hours as it may compromise its durability / strength.

Wax doesn`t cross-link ( it cures or hardens) so aafter approx. an hour water / QD should not effect it.

JonM

Mochamanz1
04-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Once the wax has dried out (hazed over) a bit, I would imagine that a MF or terry cloth would be sufficient to remove the haze. Further treatment , after allowing (at least 24 hours) for complete evaporation of the solvents could be done with a Carnauba QD such as Sonus Carnauba spritz (the only one I have used) with excellent results,IMO.:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

There are several waxes which require no drying to a haze, such as Trade secret and others, which may still require 24 hours to completely harden before any further treatment is done. Carnauba`s seem to need time to change to a hardened state, as a rule of thumb....