PDA

View Full Version : remove wax before polishing?

2000firebird
04-27-2005, 06:43 PM
(tried searching but there was just too many irrelevant topics)

alright so im going to polish my car with ssr 2.5 and ssr1 for the first time myself, and i just put a layer of nxt wax on it about two weeks ago, am i going to marr anything by polishing over it ? should i remove the wax? what would be a good way to remove it , ive heard some people say dish soap, some say alcohol. or should i just polish through it, (it was a pretty thick layer too ;))

Accumulator
04-27-2005, 07:55 PM
I do it both ways, remove the wax and just cut through it. Both have their place. If you just polish through, you won`t mar anything, but the wax might make a gummy mess when you polish through it.

If you get gumming/other issues while cutting through, then stop and remove it with the alcohol/water mix. IMO Dawn is vastly over-rated when it comes to wax removal.

Glossmaster
04-27-2005, 08:05 PM
*****Accumulator******

I strongly agree with your comment on the ability of Dawn when it comes to wax removal. Based on my experience with a Dawn Wash, I found it quite ineffective. IMO, Prepsol or IPA is the way to go.

Bill D
04-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by BlkTac05

[B IMO, Prepsol or IPA is the way to go. [/B]

:2thumbs:

brwill2005
04-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Akyra, which is the body shop line of HI-TEMP products, offers a product called Klean. It will strip off the old wax including any silicones. You basically just wash the car with it, let it sit for a few minutes, and rinse. It is probably not necessary though. I do not think you will have any problems if you polish without removing the old wax.

mystickid
04-27-2005, 09:24 PM
What should ratio of water to alcohol be for removing wax on a car?

I heard about that somewhere on a thread or something but can`t seem to lcate it anymore.

Tasty
04-27-2005, 09:52 PM
I`m gonna wash with Dawn first. My paint is so full of imperfections that the wax doesn`t seem to last at all on there so I think Dawn will be sufficient. Aren`t those other products really harsh on the paint itself?

2000firebird
04-27-2005, 10:41 PM
is 50/50 alcohol water good ? i think thats what i read somewhere

Bill D
04-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Yes, the 50/50 is fine. When you are going to polish, use the alcohol per panel. Spray it on, allow it some time, about a minute or so to dwell. Some may even want to spray a MF with it and keep it pressed against the panel. When ready, wipe down the panel. You can use a little alcohol on your fingers ,dry them and push them slowly across the paint. Listen for the sound that will literally indicate it`s squeaky clean. Inspect your "naked" finish then put together your polishing plan of action.

I heard about the Akrya Klean product but didn`t get around to trying it yet. I`d want to check in and get an idea of what the ingredients are first. I wish we had a wider variety of dedicated wax removing products similar to this one .

Accumulator
04-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Tasty

I`m gonna wash with Dawn first... Aren`t those other products really harsh on the paint itself?

Automotive paint is a lot less sensitive/fragile than people might think ;)

brwill2005
04-28-2005, 11:37 AM
Klean will not harm your paint if it is dilluted correctly and the directions are followed. In fact, it is also used to clean buffings pads and wipe down panels after buffing.

mystickid
04-28-2005, 02:46 PM
So we do the 50/50 Alcohol/water on the whole car before polishing but after washing and claying?

We just mist the mixture on each panel and wipe off via MF???

Just need some clarification. thnx