PDA

View Full Version : Which vinyl protectant can be wiped off easily from unintended surfaces?

ktlimq
04-27-2005, 03:46 PM
Vinyl protectant does not work on glass, some hard and smooth plastic, aluminum, clear coated wood, etc.

But these surfaces are adjacent to the surfaces on which vinyl protectant works.

I cannot pinpoint my applicator for each area. So I want to know which vinyl protectant can be wiped off easily from unintended surfaces without leaving oily residue.

I know a Meguiars quick interior detailer is designed for all interior surfaces, but I want something that provides more protection for vinyl than that.

laefd
04-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Adam`s VRT is the very best I`ve found...very easy to apply, very nice finish, nothing left behind and comes easily clean even off of windows.

303 protectant is also some great stuff but is a bit tougher to remove if you get it where you don`t want to.

Alfisti
04-27-2005, 09:40 PM
I`ll second the 303 protectant...it can be used on clear surfaces too, like plastic mirrors, without leaving residue smears.

The only other silicone based protectant I use on vinyl is Mothers Protectant...I found it to be the best protectant (other than 303) with a similar look to 303...not too shiny, and highly concentrated ingredients.

Any residue on glass comes off with a clean MF, then I finish the interior by doing the glass last so glass cleaner removes anything I`ve left behind.

"some hard and smooth plastic, aluminum, clear coated wood, etc."

I`ve gotten Mothers Protectant on many of these surfaces without any problems. Sometimes I do it intentionally to protect them. Just let it dry for 5 mins and wipe clean...leaves no oily finish and looks good.

ktlimq
04-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks for your replies.

At my last interior detailing, I could get reasonably clean glass by wiping off Mercedes-Benz Interior Care (made by Meguiars) well with dry TurtleWax microfiber towels.

Today, I did tests on a glass mirror panel at home.

The first test is to simulate a novice.

The second test is to simulate a more experience detailer.

Note: The amount of product applied and the amount of wiping were not very well controlled. So these tests probably contain error.

Vinyl protectants tested:

303 Aerospace Protectant (Manufacturer claims that this product works on clear plastic.)

ArmorAll Original Protectant, New&Improved: Stronger UV Protection (Label warning: do not use on or near glass)

Meguiars Natural Shine (Purchased last year. Last yearÃâ‚â„s MSDS indicates hydrotreated distillate and polysiloxane, but current MSDS does not say about them. I do not know whether Meguiars has reformulated this product or whether the law governing MSDS has changed. This product is much more viscous than other products tested here.)

Meguiars NXT Tech Protectant (For those who are sensitive to petroleum distillate: this product contains isoparaffinic hydrocarbon. The label also has the phrase Ãâ‚Å“contains petroleum distillateÃâ‚Â. This product is the only clear color product tested here. The product is not water-soluble. Label instruction: wipe off excess product from clear plastic and glass. This product feels very oily during application.)

Mothers Preserves (For those who are sensitive to silicone: this product contains silicon emulsion according to the label. This is in old style bottle, not the new 2005 style bottle named Protectant instead of Preserves. I read on waxforum that the content is the same, though the bottle and name changed. Label instruction: Use PRESERVES! on clean surfaces. Does this indicate milder cleaning ability than other products?)

TurtleWax F21 Super Protectant (Label instruction: Apply . . . on a clean, dry surface. Does this indicate milder cleaning ability than other products?)

TurtleWax Platinum Series Ultra Shine Protectant (Label warning: Avoid contact with clear plastic and glass.)

Vinylex (According to my personal experience on MB-Tex vinyl seat, this product has good cleaning ability Ãâ‚“ but not as strong cleaning as dedicated cleaner such as Meguiars Heavy Duty Carpet & Interior Cleaner -. Label instruction: Keep away from glass or instruments to avoid visual distortion.)

Products that can be used on leather according to the label: 303 Protectants, TurtleWax F21, TurtleWax Platinum Series Ultra Shine Protectant.

----------------

Test procedure: wipe on each product small amount -> wipe on each product large amount -> wait 5 minutes -> quick wipe each area with new napkin -> wipe off each area with dry Meguiars 100% cotton towel -> wipe off each area with dry Meguiars 100% cotton towel

Meguiars Natural Shine and Meguiars NXT Protectant left most clean surface. Others left white haze or oily residue.

303, ArmorAll, Mothers left white haze on the mirror. Vinylex left a little less white haze.

----------------

----------------

Test procedure: wipe on each product small amount -> wait 5 minutes -> quick wipe each area with new napkin -> wipe off each area with dry Meguiars 100% cotton towel -> wipe off each area with dry Meguiars 100% cotton towel -> wipe off each area with napkin -> wipe off each area with a generic brand dry terry towel

Mothers Preserves and Meguiars Natural Shine left most clean surface. Then, TurtleWax F21, and then Meguiars NXT Protectant.

Other products left more oily film or white haze.

When I wiped the towel with pressure, Meguiars Natural Shine area squeaked the most, and 303 Protectant area squeaked the least.

----------------