PDA

View Full Version : Chewing gum on carpet

cv350
04-27-2005, 05:22 AM
Can anyone help with suggestions on how to get chewing gum off my carpet? I havent touched it yet for fear o making the problem worse.

Thanks

Tanat198
04-27-2005, 05:34 AM
You can try to scoop it by wetting with cooking oil. It will soften the gum and make it easier to clean up.

imported_pdsterns
04-27-2005, 06:17 AM
http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45318&highlight=chewing+gum

Lots written here

togwt
04-27-2005, 06:39 AM
Chewing gum on carpet

I hate when that happens, I always get fibres in my teeth lol (I really need coffeee)

Ice cubes or canned air to freeze it then vacuum it up

JonM

cv350
04-27-2005, 06:58 AM
Thanks guys. Lots of suggestions here (especially in the link) - one one has got to work.

Glossequation
04-27-2005, 07:59 AM
peanut butter works in hair, so I assume it will work in carpets.

gkerr4
04-27-2005, 08:48 AM
I work as the finance & premises manager in a large high school - we have problems all the time removing the students gum in carpets and vinyl / tiles flooring. I spoke with our caretaker and he said that the only product he has ever used (he used to own contract cleaning company in Alberta, Canada before moving back to the UK - he has a LOT of experience in cleaning stuff!) is a product called "Gum-solv"

This is produced by a company called "Fleetland Limited", I did a search on google and it came up with a couple of suppliers - heres a UK one: http://www.atozsupplies.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=452653

Hope this helps

Big Leegr
04-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Solvent based "dry cleaners" also work. They dissolve the gum (repeated applications.). NAPA`s BodyPro Multi-Purpose Cleaning Fluid is one that I`ve tried that works this way.

MS22
04-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Ice is the way to go, I had to do this on carpets more time than I care to think about.

Darien Warwick
01-30-2009, 05:37 PM
To remove chewing gum from carpet, you can use your hair dryer. Just heat the gum, being careful not to melt any carpet fibers. Then you can use a piece of plastic wrap or a plastic bag to lift the softened gum away. Allow it to stick to the plastic, and pull it up. This will often get most of the gum. For oily or greasy stains, use dry cleaning solvents or in exceptional cases, methylated spirit.

JohnKleven
01-31-2009, 11:20 AM
We just have a can of liquid nitrogen. You spray it on the gum, and it freezes, then you can peel it right off. You can also wear gloves and use some tire dressing, it will keep it from sticking to you and the carpet again. I prefer the liquid nitrogen.

John