PDA

View Full Version : marring with megs polishing pad!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

teamvegas
04-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Ok. No matter what product or speed or pressure I use on a megs pad, i seem to be getting very fine marring. It looks like very fine swirling. I tried to get pics but they dont show on a camera. I ordered some propel pads, but I shouldnt be getting this with a megs polishing pad.

Any suggesstions?

Trent

JaCkaL829
04-26-2005, 08:51 PM
What polish are you using with the Meguiar`s polishing pad?

teamvegas
04-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Ive tried #80, #83, VM, RMG. All on new and different pads. The polish is removing the defects but leaving MM no matter what I do.

EBPcivicsi
04-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Never seen it and I have used thoses pads exclusively for years. How are they stored? Are you sure they are clean? No velcro slurbs on the pad surface? If you washed them, where and how were they dried?

PC or rotary?

teamvegas
04-26-2005, 09:12 PM
PC.

They are stored in zip lock bags unsealed so they can breath. I wash them by hand, dry with a rotory and stored in bags. Now that I think about it, they are pretty old but not used much. I am going to wait for the Propel pads and do a side by side comparison. I will follow with pics and report.

ebpcivicsi:

Are you thinking that the foam is dry/dirty? That could very well be a possibility. I do clean them thourghally so I dont think they could be dirty.

EBPcivicsi
04-26-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by teamvegas

PC.

They are stored in zip lock bags unsealed so they can breath. I wash them by hand, dry with a rotory and stored in bags. Now that I think about it, they are pretty old but not used much. I am going to wait for the Propel pads and do a side by side comparison. I will follow with pics and report.

ebpcivicsi:

Are you thinking that the foam is dry/dirty? That could very well be a possibility. I do clean them thourghally so I dont think they could be dirty.

Sometimes when the pads are new they shed the pink/red ink from the velcro area, also some pads have velcro slurbs on them. Meguiars pads are usually slurb free, but I though that I would ask. I try to pay close attention when they are new so that I rinse EVERYTHING off.

Do you use new bags each time?

Spilchy
04-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Uh...what in tarnations is a "slurb?":confused:

teamvegas
04-26-2005, 10:19 PM
No i dont use new bags each time, but I never see nor feel anything in them when I replace them. I really wish I could figure this out. I have been using LC pads for the longest time and they were finally worn out and I had the megs pads and have been trying them.

Slurb- I would believe they would be the hook and loop part of the velcro that detach from the backing plate.

teamvegas
04-26-2005, 11:06 PM
Any other suggesstions?

Accumulator
04-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Spilchy

Uh...what in tarnations is a "slurb?":confused:

Actually, it`s a "slub". When referring to textiles it means a twist/knot/imperfection that "stands out" in a piece of cloth and/or fragments of a cloth`s threads.

In this detailing context, it means fragments of velcro from when the velcro backing pads are cut or from when they wear. Cyclo pads are notorious for having their foam contaminated with velcro "slubs", they are covered with little black plastic "hairs".

imported_memnuts
04-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Have you tried using a finishing pad for comparison with the same polishes? This test will elimination or rule in what is causing the marring. Pad (polishing) or compounds. The compounds you mention are rather mild except for the #83 which can cause marring if not allow to breakdown completely.

I have had great luck with meg`s pads and also Exceldetail`s and LC.

dternst
04-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Just questions to help the process of elimination... How much product to you apply to the pad? How long do you "work" the product with the PC?

teamvegas
04-27-2005, 10:10 PM
blkz28:

I will try that. But I havent had this happen before. I am wondering if the pads are contaminated with some kind of foreign material.

dternst:

It is definetly not the products. I am applying them until clear and they are removing the defects, but I am getting the marring from what looks like the pad. I will try again tomorrow if the weather is good. Rain is forecasted.

imported_Bence
04-28-2005, 07:34 PM
The exact amount of a product can be a factor. Use more than you`d think. Ensure that the whole face of the pad is covered with the product when you smear around. I use pretty hard Riwax pads, and for example their white polishing pad is harder than some other`s cutting. It is impossible to hold the PC @ 5-6 when they are dry; they vibrate that much. But when they get wet enough, these hard ones work beautifully, even with the aggressive 1Z Pasta Intensiv. The machine calms down, runs smoothly. Absolutely no marring; just a wondrous clear finish.

teamvegas
04-29-2005, 02:08 AM
Bence,

I think I if I tried more product it would build up. I will try a couple of passes like this also, but it is removing the defects and pretty smooth application. I will defenitely give it a shot though.