PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this car?

JaCkaL829
04-26-2005, 01:15 PM
As some of you know i`ve been looking for a used car for myself. I`m looking for a somewhat luxurious import sedan. Anyway i`ve been mainly concentrating on 00-01 Maxima GLEs(My Sig), but after getting a little frustrated since I`ve been having a hard time finding one, I decided to look at some other cars under the classifeds today. Well today under Audi there was an 1999 A4 posted. The specs were V6, auto, 44k miles, silver/black, new tires & brakes and it has a bumper to bumper warranty till 72k miles or 1/09 for $12,750/offer. Well I decided to give the person a call and the guy was really nice. He said he was the 2nd owner, he bought it with 15k miles on it and its mainly stayed at his house in VA. He did say it was hit by a backing up limo and had a new front end, he also said he had his rear bumper repainted because of scratches. The warranty was with a private company, so he said I can pretty much take it to any ASE certified mechanic and get it repaired, which is good. For the price, miles and condition(from him) it seems like a pretty good buy, and fits my budget.

I`m just not to thrilled that it was hit and repainted, I also wasn`t to thrilled that it was non-Quattro and had no sunroof. Since my father is off today, i`m thinking about taking a ride up tonight, just to take a look at the car. I would like some honest opinions on what you think about the car???

Any and all advice and input is welcomed!

THANKS! :wavey :bow

MongooseGA
04-26-2005, 02:09 PM
FWD, correct? IMO, with the option of a manual tranny, AWD, and sun roof (you wanted) available, I`d look a little further. Especially with the concerns you have about being hit/repainted.

I know you can find a 4 cylinder turbo with Quattro and a manual tranny (Did you decide on which tranny you prefer?) for that same price.

Where in VA?

JaCkaL829
04-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Ya i`m still not sure if I want to go with a german car. My biggest concern is maintence and from what I hear german cars are the highest as far as parts go. Under the hood doesn`t look the most friendliest thing to work on either. Looking at carpoint, this year/model has moderate problems with engine and brakes, which isn`t good.

Even though it didn`t have the AWD I would be able to live without it. I think i`d rather have the V6 and auto then a 4 cylinder turbo, i`m not really a race car driver so don`t see the point. One thing I like was that it had the tiptronic so if I had the urge to play with gears, I can do that without a clutch. At this point the cons are outweighting the pros for me. I still might go to check it out for curiousity, but it seems like the search continues.

Jngrbrdman
04-26-2005, 02:39 PM
Ever considered the `05 Legacy GT? (http://www.ocdetails.com/html/2005_scooby.html) Its not a race car even though it has the turbo 4 cylinder. It has the luxury of the Audi and the performance of a Subaru. Much more reliable than an Audi in the long run too. Might be something worth looking into... There are pics of mine in my sig if you need more incentive to get one. ;) A new car may not be what you are looking to get, but from what you were decribing it just sounded like the LGT to me.

Lowejackson
04-26-2005, 03:45 PM
If you are not sure, walk away. There are always other cars which will fulfil your needs.

I would say the honesty of the seller is good and as long as the car was fixed to OE standards it could be a good reason to get a discount. But to get back to my first point - only spend your money when you find the right car